Panasonic TM700 & iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by demguiney, Feb 22, 2017.

1. demguiney macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I bought the camcorder 5-6 years ago and the 27" iMac a year ago. I'm just now getting into videos and am having a problem in getting movies off my camera onto the iMac. Panasonic's software (and confirmed with them) will not work with the iMac.

So I'm looking for any help if anyone knows how to do possibly do this.

Appreciate any help.
    Thanks,
    Don

2. Unami macrumors 6502a

googled it...
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2380085?start=195&tstart=0

looks like imovie can't understand the avchd-format from the panny - you first need to find the .mts video files and then rewrap them to something, imovie likes (alternatively you can re-encode them, but rewrapping is usually prefered).

the info in the thread seems a bit dated, as by now, final cut can handle .mts files. i also read something about "perian" (a free codec pack) - i'd advise against installing this, i once had problems with it only a OS reinstall would fix

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You haven't mentioned using iMovie. You have to use iMovie to import. Your camcorder is listed as being compatible with the latest iMovie 10, so importing should not be a problem. The posters in Unami's link are all using previous versions of iMovie.

4. MSastre, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

I have a TM 700 and used ClipWrap to rewrap the mts files in earlier versions of Final Cut Pro. ClipWrap is now EditReady and will transcode or rewrap just about anything. Highly recommend it if you still cannot get your footage into iMovie.

5. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

Just wanted to add that the TM700 works very well with FCP X 10.3.2. Either connect camera and import direct (recommend making a Camera Archive) or make an exact copy of your camera's card (complete) and import from that. Recently used it for a couple projects ... great little camera!!

6. demguiney thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response. Am going to check out the FCP x.
    Agree the camera is very good.
    Don

7. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

8. demguiney thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply just have to justify the cost.
    Thx

9. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

Same guys from Ripple Training have a Youtube Channel MacBreak Studio, free short tutorials, and will give you an idea of what they offer in the paid tutorials. Information on Motion, Logic Pro, and more.

10. demguiney thread starter macrumors newbie

11. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

Don, just did and experiment with iMovie and it definitely works with the TM700. I had a camera archive of my camcorder's card (exact duplicate of camera's card and file structure), and was able to import the footage into iMovie (latest version) directly without using any other applications.

12. demguiney thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that is good to know. I am waiting on a new cable and manual. Believe I lost them in our last move. The camera is in excellent shape even though it's probably 5-7 years old and hasn't been used in quite a while. Have ben concentrating on the DSLR instead. Have a granddaughter now and want to utilize the movies now. Appreciate your help.
    Don