Panasonic Toughpad, drool

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PracticalMac, Nov 23, 2011.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I wish the iPad was IP65, (No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact; Water projected by a nozzle against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects), even IP64 would be fine (no worry about rain at least)
    Check out the water test video.

Panasonic Toughpad is IP65.

A descent case will suffice for MIL-STD-810G spec.

Toughpad also has a 5MP rear camera, iPad certainly needs something better there.

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Are you referring to the $1,300 ToughPad?

If people are complaining about the weight of the current iPad then I suspect they'd be squawking a lot more at a 34 ounce tablet.

3. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I am sure you can pay someone $500 bucks to give your iPad the same protection. At least then it would still be iOS and not Android...

4. Carouser macrumors 65816

Too bad for you Apple has zero incentive to make something like this, I guess? :confused:

I seriously doubt going after this market would maximize the use of Apple's resources.

5. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That is mainly due to the shock and damage resistance.
    You know, non-breaking screen.

IP65 is not that hard to make, our company is building enclosures with various IP rated fittings.

6. maxsandis, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

maxsandis macrumors member

Combine the iPad with the Tank rugged/waterproof case from http://www.ipadkings.com and you have the same thing except it runs iOS :)

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I can definitely see the military going after this. We already use the toughbook's. If they could figure out a way to mount these in vehicles perhaps instead of the systems they currently use or somehow make it able to connect to certain feeds while deployed in the field. I'd be interested to see the type of battery life it gets and how it would handle large mapping programs or image files.

8. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I commend them for coming up with new concepts and design unlike some..., cough.... Samsung... Cough

9. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119