Panasonic TZ7 Digi Cam, AVCHD Lite video, sorting into folders

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, Jul 24, 2010.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68010

I have a Panasonic TZ7 Digi Camera that takes HD video in AVCHD Lite format. I also use an iMac with iMovie and iPhoto on iLife 09.

The format that the video takes comes out with a *.mts, and is in a folder structure on the memory card that is not easy to navigate.

My problem is, at the moment I'm busy sorting through all my video and pics for importing into iPhoto. So at the moment I copy the pics from the memory card to a relevant folder on my imac eg Summer 09, 7th birthday party, Day out June 10 etc. This is fine to do even if I have taken many pics over a long period.

However this is not the same for video, I have found (to my peril!) that to just copy the *.mts files and put them into a folder creates problems for importing the video to iMovie and the like. But the problem is the folder structure on the memory card for video I cannot just copy the individual video for that event, eg June day out etc to put in my folder on my imac until I import.

Does anyone understand what I mean first! If so have you had/got this problem? how did you fix it?

cheers

2. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I feel your pain, I just bought this same exact model of camera myself, & downloaded the AVCHD footage with the bundled Panasonic software, & it seed to put all theses different files all over the place, I think I will just stick with motion jpg format, it looked alot simpler & cleaner. I think the camcorder & camera companies should adopt another more compatible format, or just go to mpg.

In addition, the mac nor windows seems to be able to readily view this format raw & unedited, for me this is useless, for use in imovie, I found I had to convert the .mpg movie files my Sony camera makes to .mov, since it is an apple quicktime format.

It is a trade off, as it seems the Panasonic only supports limited amounts of time on the memory cards for motion jpg. But I would rather have this & better compatibility, & there is a good chance imovie will be able import motion jpg movie files.

3. Jason Edwards macrumors regular

I use VoltaicHD with my Panasonic cameras. It converts the .mts files to the same format that iMovie does upon importing. It will convert the files and send them to iMovie for you. They also make another app that will re-create the file/folder structure you need so iMovie can import the files. Its called RevolverHD. I usually take a months worth of .mts video files and let RevolverHD create a package I can store on my hard drive for later use.

http://www.shedworx.com/voltaichd

Hope this helps
    Jason

4. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

cheers will have a look at this. I dont really want to convert the mts files before importing though, I could do this with handbrake if I have to. Would rather import to iMovie 09 as is (I know the mts files are "pre" converted to AIC when importing to iMovie 09)

Motion JPG is a no go for me, the file size's are massive compared to AVCHD, and I think MJPEG is not as good quality wise as AVC

cheers

5. Jason Edwards macrumors regular

VoltaicHD will convert your files to AIC and send them directly to iMovie into an event all at the same time just like if you had used iMovie in the first place. So you dont have to convert them first and then import then import iMovie.

Of course you could just use RevolverHD. From their website - "RevolverHD can take any AVCHD movies and create an AVCHD Camera Archive. This archive will be recognised by iMovie and Final Cut as a camera, allowing you to import these movies when required." I use this and it works very well.

Maybe we will get lucky and the next version of iMovie that is suppose to be coming soon will accept the mts files directly.

Jason