Panasonic Viera S1 good for Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gavspen, Jul 21, 2009.

1. gavspen macrumors newbie

I was thinking of buying a Panasonic Viera S1 series (50") and hooking it up to my Macbook Pro to watch movies. This is their less expensive line. In researching the difference between this and the more expensive G15, I was told by Panasonic that the S1 doesnt have a true computer input, (just HDMI, component etc.) and they dont guarantee it will work. (Looking at a picture of the back of the G15 it looks like the "computer" input they are referring to is a VGA.)

This seems odd. I have an older LCD TV (no HDMI or DVI input, just component and video) and all I have to do is hook it up with a DVI to S video adapter and off we go. The specs of these various interfaces are consistent I'm sure, so what's this "may not work" business? Either it does, or it doesnt, right? Anyone know anything about this?

I will say that there is hard disk noise with the old TV which can be annoying. Is this what they mean? Possible digital schmutz?

Thanks,
    Gavin

2. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

From what I understand you have to get a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor for the video and a separate Toslink to optical adaptor for the sound and it plugs right into the headphone jack. There maybe an all-in-one adaptor out there now but there wasn't when I was investigating this a couple months ago.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

4. gavspen thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I understand that DVI doesnt include sound. Right now I just take the headphone out to the TV. I dont have the mini DVI on my Macbook Pro, just the regular.

Not sure what Toslink is. I guess that's the small out next to the headphones? The one I've always wondered what it is?;)

What you seem to be saying is, "This will work just like it does on you old TV", right?

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Toslink is just the conversion cable you need to run out of your audio out to utilize its full ability.

6. gavspen thread starter macrumors newbie

I missed this. I dont think so. Isnt HDMI an audio/video interface? DVI is video only.

But regarding the Toslink; When you say The Toslink is just the conversion cable you need to run out of your audio out to utilize its full ability , If I may ask, what does that mean? Do you mean the headphone audio out? If, not, what output then? Once you run the Toslink out of your Mac, where does it go into the TV?

Sorry to be so dense.

7. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

HDMI does carry audio in a standard application, but not from your mb. The toslink adaptor plugs directly into the headphone jack (as I stated in my first post) and can carry Dolby 5.1 surround to an optical input, typically to a receiver.

Mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor for video
    Toslink to optical cable for your audio.

8. gavspen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the posts; I do get the basics of this.

But the larger question is this; What about Panasonic's weird statement that this "may not work" with the Viera S1 series, because there is no direct "computer" input? You're all describing the cabling hook up which I more or less have with my old LCD TV, but does anyone know of a reason why this might not work with the Panasonic S1? Or does anyone know that it certainly DOES work?

Thanks

9. gavspen thread starter macrumors newbie

I just realised something. In my proposed set up I cant use the DVI to HDMI for picture, can I? If I connect that way, then I must choose HDMI 1 (or 2) as the inut to the Tv, and the only audio inputs to this model are associated with the Component or Video inputs. (Since HDMI carries video AND audio, there are no addition audio inputs associated with it) This TV has no optical audio in.

I would have to go back to the DVI to S video and use those audio inputs, right? Not that there's anything wrong with that.;)

Gavin

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Yep. It will work perfectly, but they won't support it, so don't expect to get help with it by calling them.

It will work with ANY TV with HDMI input. Keep in mind that some TVs are 720p and others 1080p, regardless of physical size.

You are supposed to use a mini TOSLINK to TOSLINK cable to connect your Mac to your RECEIVER. TVs don't have optical inputs (except as output). When a TV is taking in HDMI, it will not accept audio from another source.
    To combat this, there are devices which can add optical audio to a video-only HDMI input to output HDMI with audio and video, but these can cost as much as a receiver and surround sound system.

11. gavspen thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, Understood. So let me ask this: Is HDMI that much better than S video? The reason I ask is that I have no receiver available in this set up, and have found the sound from the TV (with additional sub-woofer attached) quite adequate. So, do I care about HDMI? Either way, I'm converting from DVI to something or other; is the quality that much different?

Your continued patience is much appreciated.

12. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

S-Video isn't even comparable to HDMI. HDMI is a digital signal which will arrive clear and crisp up to 1080p (the max resolution supported by HDTVs). S-Video is an analog signal which will arrive blurry and it will get worse with any interference caused by nearby power cables or other devices and only support up to 480i.
    Yes, you care about HDMI. Don't even think about S-Video.