Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
iTunes Radio is all I need...

Tht's gret, but mny people my hve some kind of problem with the letter '_'. For them, moving to P_ndor_ from Rdio my be just s uncceptble s the iTunes option, unfortuntely. Perhps even worse, seeing how P_ndor_ hs two of the offending letters.

Reactions: B.K.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Why? Pandora fits my needs far better than Apple Music, and Spotify. I really like how Pandora works, and most of the music it gives me. Why should I switch?

Because Pandora is not made/owned by Apple. And Apple has decided to make a somewhat similar offering. So all competitive offerings to Apple Music are "stupid", "99% don't need", "useless", "kludge", "buggy", etc. ;)

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Fine by me. Pandora remains my go-to streaming music service. Apple Music is a poor alternative by comparison.

Mark

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I subscribe to Apple Music because of the large genre-based library I listen to. I listen to Pandora-free and iHeart radio genre specific which is great. I do agree that of all the services, Pandora picks up more new music.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Meet Big brother. I dunno why,, since Apple music came into the mix, i've stopped listening to pandora.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I was an early Pandora user and paid subscriber for many years, but it had serious problems that made me dump them a couple of years ago. One of the main problems is the *massive* amount of repeated songs. Every station I start for every type of genre has a repertoire of only like 20 songs that get repeated over and over again. So I add more seeds, and that adds a few more songs into the repeating playlist, but then some of the new seeds I added wind up causing out-of-genre songs to start playing, but I have no way to know which one of the seed songs caused that bad selection. So I'd have to meticulously test each potential seed song individually for a few hours to see which song selections it'd generate to see if it correctly lead to the correct genre type of songs, and then you quickly hit the 100 station limit, etc etc etc.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
Will Roku send me an updated remote?

roku-4-07.jpg

cassiar

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I have mixed feelings about this. I've gone through Rdio, Spotify, Apple Music only to end up back at Rdio because I find it the best streaming service for me. I hope Pandora doesn't change it too much and bloat it like Spotify and Apple Music.

Reactions: Toltepeceno

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This is a critical survival tactic for Pandora. Good for them. I would assume Pandora One will become the new "play the songs you want" version of Pandora.

Eat or be eaten.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I have mixed feelings about this. I've gone through Rdio, Spotify, Apple Music only to end up back at Rdio because I find it the best streaming service for me. I hope Pandora doesn't change it too much and bloat it like Spotify and Apple Music.

I think you all ready know the answer :(.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
I was a Rdio paid subscriber from September 2013 until June 2015, when Apple Music launched.

It was a respectable service.

Yuck9

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
California
Why? Pandora fits my needs far better than Apple Music, and Spotify. I really like how Pandora works, and most of the music it gives me. Why should I switch?

I too agree. I like it so much I did not even try the free 3 month trial from Apple. After checking out my friends sub I passed on it.

Studioman

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Pandora is OK. When will Apple's Music app leave the alpha stage? Just seem ridiculous to pay to use alpha code.
When you realize you are paying for access to the content it makes more sense to pay. Since the consumer data is not the real product Apple has to charge to pay the content owners. The interface and features will mature and advance over time via feedback as they have done in every new market until no one can compete head to head.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I am subscribed to Apple Music, but because of YouTubeRed, I now have Google's music, which I really don't care for at all. Finding new music on Google is horrible. Pandora has always been pretty good at new music, but the fact remains they have a very, very small library and the repeats drive me crazy. If you only listen to and from work each day, it's probably okay. However, if I was looking for a service with he best Radio (no on-demand) I'd pick Slacker. The stations they have a programmed (listener tunable) and very high quality with much deeper playlist. Plus for $3.99 per month you get unlimited skips and can listen for as many hours a month as you want and can even download the music to your device. (Can't do that with Pandora)

Pandora may have just put the first nail in their coffin because we know they don't make any money and like Spotify they now want to buy other services and all this leads to is more debt that they will likely end up defaulting on at some point. Long term my bet is on Apple and/or Google Music they will be the 2 big boys in the end when all this shakes out.

I am not listening to music with commercials I don't care how few or short they are.

Studioman

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
I didn't realize that Rdio was bankrupt.
With the exemption of Apple Music they all are really bankrupt. The free model survives on investor funding and when investors decide it's time to show a profit and you can't funding dries up. To court you go. It amazes me how companies can survive on smoke and mirrors for so long.

brc21

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2013
Phoenix
What a shame. I preferred Rdio over all of the other services and have been a member for many many years. I guess I'll have to switch to Apple Music now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.