Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pandora has introduced Pandora Plus, a new ad-free subscription service that builds upon Pandora One with unlimited song skips and replays and a new predictive offline mode for $4.99 per month. Meanwhile, users of its existing ad-supported tier will gain the ability to skip more songs and replay songs by watching video ads.

pandora_predictive_offline_mode.jpg

The new predictive offline mode automatically detects when you lose your data connection and switches to one of your top stations.

The Verge explained the feature in more detail:
Pandora says it will automatically save your thumbprint radio station as well as your three most recently listened to stations in case you lose your connection or request offline listening. The app will automatically determine which of the four stations to switch to based on your recent listening, and when your signal drops, it will alert you with an audio message acknowledging that your connection has been lost and that it will switch to an offline station.
Pandora CEO Tim Westergren also confirmed it will launch an on-demand option "later this year" to compete with the likes of Apple Music and Spotify.
"We're methodically and passionately developing the world's most personal music experience," said Tim Westergren, founder and CEO at Pandora. "And that includes flexibility in how you listen and what you pay for it. Whether a listener wants to take advantage of our enhanced ad-supported experience, our groundbreaking subscription radio service, or our fully interactive on-demand option coming later this year, we have a solution tailored for you at a price point you can afford."
Pandora Plus and the new ad-supported features launch in the U.S. today and will be rolling out to iOS and Android smartphone users over the coming months. The subscription service will expand to Australia and New Zealand in 2017.

Pandora currently provides free, ad-supported radio stations centered around particular artists or songs, rather than offering on-demand listening like Apple Music. By offering only randomized, radio-like stations that prevent users from playing specific songs, it has been able to bypass licensing agreements with major record labels.

Article Link: Pandora Confirms its Apple Music Competitor Launches Later This Year

ke-iron

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2014
Fail! If Spotify is the best and going head to head with Apple right now, but operating at a loss. What makes pandora think they can up the game? They'll just quicken their own demise.

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
Fail! If Spotify is the best and going head to head with Apple right now, but operating at a loss. What makes pandora think they can up the game? They'll just quicken their own demise.
Yeah, everyone should just give up and go home.

Reactions: Juicy Box

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Why would anyone go with Pandora's option? Their music catalog is FAR smaller than that of Apple Music and Spotify.

Pandora is great for random music and I've been a subscriber for years but the selection is far far too limited when compared with other services. Unless they're going to undercut the competition big time on price (which simply isn't doable because of how the cost of licensing) I can't see any reason to choose them over Apple Music or Spotify.

Yeah, everyone should just give up and go home.

Correct, because we consumers really, REALLY want a world with no competition... so that the one player- Apple- can charge anything it wants and we just pay. I'm consistently dazzled by how much "we" want all Apple competitors to die... as if we somehow gain something by Apple completely dominating anything it touches.

Other players trying to compete with the OS-default should be positive for everyone involved. Even Apple needs competition to be pressed to try to beat competition. No competition begs for complacency. And, contrary to very popular opinion, other brains at companies not owned by Apple can innovate... so companies working to better an Apple creation is likely to yield something potentially better than Apple's creation. If so, what does Apple do? Respond by trying to one-up the new challenge. Competition is good.

This particular thing sounds pretty great to me. Pandora has always done a pretty good job with their cut of this market. A deluxe version of Pandora for $5/month is welcome competition IMO.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Correct, because we consumers really, REALLY want a world with no competition... so that the one player- Apple- can charge anything it wants and we just pay. I'm consistently dazzled by how much "we" want all Apple competitors to die... as if we somehow gain something by Apple completely dominating anything it touches.

Other players trying to compete with the OS-default should be positive for everyone involved. Even Apple needs competition to be pressed to try to beat competition. No competition begs for complacency. And, contrary to very popular opinion, other brains at companies not owned by Apple can innovate... so companies working to better an Apple creation is likely to yield something potentially better than Apple's creation. If so, what does Apple do? Respond by trying to one-up the new challenge. Competition is good.

This particular thing sounds pretty great to me. Pandora has always done a pretty good job with their cut of this market. A deluxe version of Pandora for $5/month is welcome competition IMO.

So true. While I enjoy my $4.99/mo Apple Music I agree competition is great and is very much needed in all industries, eh hem United

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
$5 is half of what the competitors like spotify, AM, GPM are charging but their offerings are way better.

Buying a $120 gift card for $100 makes your AM go to $8/m.
You can get discount in Google Music by registering as another country and buying a gift card from abroad. That'll make GPM go to $5/m. If you register in India, maybe less.

I'm currently using Google Music (4 months trial).

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
"We’re methodically and passionately developing the world’s most personal music experience"..."Whether a listener wants to take advantage of our enhanced ad-supported experience, our groundbreaking subscription radio service, or our fully interactive on-demand option coming later this year"...

Wow, I need boots to wade through this hooey. Judging by this language, they are trying to compete with Apple, all right. Magically courageous of them.

They ALL HAVE to try to compete with Apple. Apple has one of the most popular mobile platforms and AM is default on it. It's hard to beat the default option- SEE Netscape vs. IE in the browser wars. Default wins by being default. It can be good or bad... best-in-class or atrocious... but default is default.

All competitors have no choice but to try to compete with it. They have zero chance of ever beating it not because it is better... but because it is default. They'll never get their app installed on more iDevices than ALL of them no matter how good their app is is vs. how bad Apple could choose to let their app become.

Pretending this is some kind of fair fight so we can smugly "win" some big prize because our favorite corporation is basically doing another IE is just fooling ourselves. Every other player lost as soon as Apple decided to play the default card... just as every Browser maker lost as soon as Microsoft decided to play the very same card.

macUser2007

macrumors 65832
May 30, 2007
Pandora has by far the radio station best algorithm in the industry, so it's more than worth paying for -- I run it constantly through my Alexa/echo devices.

Apple Music and Spotify both have inferior catalogs to Google Play Music, IMO, and I compare them a couple of months a year. Spotify basically pads its catalog with covers, but if you are a fan of The Voice, that's OK, I guess....

Google Music also gives you access to YouTube's Premium service, Red, so to me, it's the best deal of them all.

Last edited:

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
I'm interested in the on-demand service. Rdio had a great social aspect for discovering new music that's missing from both Spotify and Apple Music, so hopefully Pandora is using some of the existing framework.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.