Pandora Data+Battery usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carjakester, Mar 1, 2014.

1. carjakester, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i am going snowboarding tomorrow and plan on streaming pandora all day on my 5s. How much battery and data would that probably take up? I have an external battery i could bring with incase my battery gets low, and I'm hoping the data usage isn't too bad.

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Hardly anything in terms of data or battery.

I believe Pandora's iPhone app allows you to choose between 64 Kbps and 128 Kbps when using a cellular connection. The default setting is 64 Kbps which is about 28.8MB per hour.

Even if you hit the slopes for 8 hours straight that would be a paltry 240mb.

No reason to be concerned. The larger issue with many resorts I've been to is reception. If you have a medium to low signal your battery will for sure drain faster.

3. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

Is this around the same for iTunes Radio?

4. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

My phone ended up dying from the cold. The first few hours it did pretty well.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I keep my iPhone in an inside chest level pocket on my fleece polyester insulation layer which traps in heat really good and keeps the phone from getting too cold. Just an Fyi.

6. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

I had mine in my inside pocket of my jacket. The first 3 hours it did fine then after lunch it just died. I did take it out more for pictures and what not though so thats probably what did it.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

iTunes Radio uses a little more data than Pandora.