Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pandora today launched a new desktop app for Mac, aimed at all Pandora listeners across both its free and paid tiers. Similar to its mobile apps, Pandora for Mac allows for full access to Pandora without needing to open a web browser.

pandora-mac-app.jpg

New features in the app include keyboard controls for playing, pausing, replaying, skipping, shuffling, and liking/disliking songs. There is also an on-screen song notification system that displays the artist, album, and song title for the music currently playing.

The app also has controls for Pandora Modes, letting users customize their music on Pandora's radio stations with certain "modes," like Crowd Faves, Deep Cuts, New Releases, and more.

The Mac app requires macOS version 10.10 and can be downloaded right here. The company said that a version of the app will launch on Windows soon.

Article Link: Pandora Launches New Desktop App for Mac

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
I love Apple music but really can't stand their Radio options. I wish they had more options to customize a radio station. Who actually has time to continually make and edit playlists?!

Caveat: I wish Pandora had the music library of Apple or Spotify... *sigh*

Oh that somebody would figure out this technology thing...

Reactions: RobNYC

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I love Apple music but really can't stand their Radio options. I wish they had more options to customize a radio station. Who actually has time to continually make and edit playlists?!

This is one of the areas where Spotify outshines Apple Music. You can choose any song or artist and go straight to the radio based on your choice, with one click! Let’s hope that Apple tunes it up with the next iOS/macOS release. We should know in a few weeks...

Reactions: Unity451

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I must totally suck at Music applications. I tend to open the app, hit PLAY and minimize to do my work.
I used to listen to my iTunes, then switched to Spotify after loosing my songs on the new computer (did not transfer music), and now onto Pandora. I have a free account on teh AppleTV we use a lot to just listen to music while we work around the house.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Thats the ugliest-looking application I've ever seen.... is this really where we're going with design?

While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you - who cares what an app for playing music looks like? Does anyone look at these apps for more than the 5-10 seconds it takes to get the music playing before minimizing it and launching something else?

unfunfionn

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany
I really wish they’d done something with the Rdio IP they bought, but apparently they won’t. I still think the last version of Rdio was better than the current Spotify or Apple Music.

Reactions: mmp1964

cuwickliffe

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
A while ago, a small taskbar-living app called PandaBar was available that hooked onto your Pandora account. It was non-intrusive, intuitive, and definitely a violation of the TOS. I loved it. It still works today (on Mojave) so whatever mechanism it used must be something Pandora can't break without breaking Pandora.

https://www.facebook.com/pandabarapp/

Screen Shot.png

Reactions: turbineseaplane

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Wow, that is so ugly.

This is one of the areas where Spotify outshines Apple Music. You can choose any song or artist and go straight to the radio based on your choice, with one click! Let’s hope that Apple tunes it up with the next iOS/macOS release. We should know in a few weeks...

I've found some artists I like and had never heard of with that feature. It's great.

Reactions: one more

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you - who cares what an app for playing music looks like? Does anyone look at these apps for more than the 5-10 seconds it takes to get the music playing before minimizing it and launching something else?
I agree. Ugly is better than the iPhone music app where they've hidden essential stuff like *shuffling and repeat* behind a fancy, laggily-animated popup screen with a difficult gesture. My dad had his songs on "repeat 1" for months and couldn't figure out how to turn it off, and I accidentally open the control center half the time.

Beyo

macrumors member
May 29, 2017
Poznań

Caveat: I wish Pandora had the music library of Apple or Spotify... *sigh*

Oh that somebody would figure out this technology thing...

Rdio,please come back.
On a Mac its better to use pianobar in cli

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Why should those 5-10 seconds be barf-inducing? Why make a terrible-looking app when you can make a nice-looking one? Why make excuses for garbage?

--Eric

mmp1964

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
I really wish they’d done something with the Rdio IP they bought, but apparently they won’t. I still think the last version of Rdio was better than the current Spotify or Apple Music.

I miss Rdio so much. They had a great UI and as far as I know the best "social" platform even to this day. Find followers based on similar musical tastes - subscribe to their playlists and libraries - brilliant! (I say "as far as I know because I haven't used Spotify for a couple of years).

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I miss Rdio so much. They had a great UI and as far as I know the best "social" platform even to this day. Find followers based on similar musical tastes - subscribe to their playlists and libraries - brilliant! (I say "as far as I know because I haven't used Spotify for a couple of years).

Poor Rdio. I absolutely loved the service back in the day. When they filed for bankruptcy, that's when I finally moved over to Spotify. But damn, was Rdio on point with discovering new music and it's social aspects. Don't get me wrong, Spotify is fantastic for discovering new music. But in it's heyday, Rdio was fantastic.

Loke2112

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
3 blocks off the Atlantic
If only I could use my Phone to control this app and like/dislike... One can only dream I suppose

One day there will be a competent radio style player that will allow me to run it on the Mac while managing from my iPhone. Spotify launched Stations but of course it's not integrated into the mac app. One can only hope, wish there was more demand.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.