Pandora Rolling Out Personalized Playlists to All Premium Subscribers on Mobile App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After a slow rollout began in March, Pandora today announced that all Premium tier subscribers can now access their own personalized music playlists. Similar to Apple Music and Spotify, Pandora's selection of playlists personally curate a specific collection of tracks, but Pandora focuses on moods, activities, and genres (via TechCrunch).

For example, Pandora can create "Your Energy Soundtrack," "Your Happy Soundtrack," "Your Rainy Day Soundtrack," "Your R&B Soundtrack," and more, with about 25 songs each. As a comparison, Apple Music's personal curation focuses on New Music Mix, Chill Mix, and Favorites Mix, offering songs aimed at introducing you to new artists, serving up relaxing tunes, and generating a collection of what the service decides are your favorite tracks.

[​IMG]
    Image via TechCrunch

Pandora Premium users can send links to their friends (even if they're on the free tier) as a way to share their personalized playlists. The free tier users will have to watch a video ad to listen to the playlist and test out other paid features as well -- an ability Pandora debuted last December.

In regards to how the app curates the playlists, Pandora says it uses its "Music Genome" and machine learning algorithms to continously determine what music you listen to most often. Combined with human curators, Pandora then gathers songs into the new "Soundtrack" playlists to "perfect the lists and update them, as needed."

Apple Music updates its Mixes on specific days every week, but Pandora's offering appears to be a bit more nebulous. During the rollout phase of the feature, the app was creating "up to four new playlists" for each user every week, and it would continue until it "maxed out" the user's playlist categories. TechCrunch explains further: "This "max" is not a flat number, but varies by user. For example, someone who listens to a lot of different types of music may continue getting new playlists for weeks."

Pandora is offering the stable of personalized playlists as a way to entice its free users to upgrade to Pandora Premium, which runs for $9.99/month. Originally a live radio streaming service only, Pandora launched Premium in 2017 to compete with Apple Music and Spotify, combining its existing radio features into an on-demand music streaming service.

Moving forward, Pandora is planning to release more playlist categories and themes in the coming months. Pandora chief performance officer Chris Phillips says, "This is the beginning of a whole suite of themed playlists that we will automatically build and tailor to each Premium user. In the coming months, we'll be rolling out more even more themes for you to unlock."

Pandora Music is available to download on iOS [Direct Link] and Android for free.

Article Link: Pandora Rolling Out Personalized Playlists to All Premium Subscribers on Mobile App

2. Jdonofrio macrumors newbie

Where can I get it for $9.99? As far as I can see, it's $12.99.

3. mattjcline macrumors newbie

It's $9.99 if you subscribe through the website.
    Apple adds a surcharge for in-app subscription and that cost is passed on to the consumer if you're in-app.

4. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

And to think it only took them 18 years!

Sometimes I'm still amazed that they exist. They're essentially the Yahoo! of streaming services. Ok, maybe not quite that bad, but they're the closest thing to that. At this point I'd be embarrassed to use them. T-Mobile had a promotion yesterday for customers to get 90 days of Pandora Premium for free and I didn't even bother trying it.

5. triscuitbiscuit macrumors regular

Apparently I listen to a lot of sad music. My description is "Embrace the gloom with melancholy melodies"
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2018 ---
    How is it the Yahoo of streaming service? They do a really good job with coming up with very similar songs that might interest you. I would call Apple Music the Yahoo of streaming service. No, I take that back as Yahoo is still OK. Apple Music is the AOL of streaming. Their stations are absolutely atrocious.

6. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

You do realize that AOL and Yahoo! are the same company, right? LOL.

7. HobeSoundDarryl, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I know Apple competes with it so it and all others have to now be crap that we collectively wish would "die, die, die" (because we all know that zero competitor monopolies on anything has always proven historically great for consumers), but Pandora for :apple:TV has become one of my favorite apps.

What's not to like? Free music, rarely a commercial interruption to pay for it, you get to bias a radio-like channel to specific artists or styles- even further bias it with additional artists, etc selections and so on. It runs on the best speakers in the house, through an :apple:TV that has an app store so that I don't have to be locked down to only a single service. If I want to actively listen, I can "thumbs up/down" its song selections as they play so it can "learn" what I like & don't like.

Pandora is also on my mobile devices and even built into my receiver (for screens-off music, not dependent on a mobile device- or even an Apple device- being in the house).

And again, completely free in exchange for only an occasional ad. It's helped me discover new music & new artists, leading me to purchase discs :eek: that I can then rip into iTunes :eek::eek: at a quality level of MY choosing, building up my own library :eek: of music I already know I like that isn't controlled by a for-profit corporation via the cloud :eek: and/or accessible only if I have an active internet connection :eek: and a willingness to pay an ongoing rental rate forever.

Since it is their entire focus, Pandora's apps are pretty intuitive. Since it lacks any lock-down shenanigans behind it, there's nothing that binds me to it. Should I become unhappy with it, I can readily hop to Spotify, Tidal, etc. without much consequence... a benefit of robust competition that many of us seem to forget.

If one is able to look past an "only Apple's is good" bias, you might want to give Pandora a try rather than dismiss it because it competes with AM. Focus tends to trump "me too" hobbies and competition is actually good for all of us.

8. triscuitbiscuit macrumors regular

They are owned by the same company. That doesn’t make them the same. Yahoo is one of the top visited websites in the world. AOL has been dying a very slow death. So yeah....

9. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Yahoo is dying too. Has been for a long time. I don't know anyone who uses their email any more. Even my grandparents moved away from it around 2012. They're getting hacked all the time. Their days are numbered. They're circling the toilet where they will drown with AOL.

10. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

In a matter of speaking Yahoo! as a company hadn't existed for a while now. Parts of its brand and technology went to Verizon while other investments parts got spun off as another company of sorts.

11. triscuitbiscuit macrumors regular

I guess you completely missed my point. Completely. I didn't say that Yahoo is good. That's why I initially compared Apple Music to them. But then I reversed course and said that Apple Music is like AOL because AOL is leagues worse than Yahoo.