Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
I was just wondering if anyone had experience with a panel interview?? I passed the first round over the phone and I am now getting flown out to have a panel interview. The only thing I was really told was that it's TOUGH, stay calm no matter what, and act like I have known these people for years. :eek:

So any tips or experiences would be appreciated. I am super nervous! :)

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I had a panel interview of sorts. It wasn't me sitting in front of a group of interviewers, we all were sitting around a table. It's a lot of different questions, but if you've ever been on an interview you should already have a clue about how to answer them; that's most of the questions I was asked.

I also have been on a marathon interview. That's where you are interviewed by 4-6 people back to back for about 25-30 minutes at a time. Each one of the interviewers (at least for me) asked questions about different topics, such as previous work history, likes and dislikes, why you'd be a good candidate, work situations, etc. Some of the questions overlap and it seems to take a really long time (which it really does).

Just remain calm and answer the questions the best you know how.

Good luck.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
THANKS! And wow, the name marathon for type of interview fits perfect. Now I think they said there would be a total of four people. I wish I knew exactly what positions each interviewer held...at least then I would have some sort of clue what questions to expect. I just don't want to be thrown off guard (one little question threw me off in the phone interview and I could not think/speak for a second). I dread that happening again! :)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I went through TWO panel interviews as a chef many years ago..

As long as you want to work for that company.KNOW about that company.Get info on it.

The most important thing is this.
The panel knows you're going to be nervous.They expect it.What they are looking for is this :

Knowledge in your given field.

How you would work under pressure.Thats one of the reasons for the panel.The other is to have different levels of pros from the company there to get an idea of how you would fit in with THEM.If this is an admin type of panel interview you will be working with the people on the panel at some point and they want to check you out.

Be confident.Know your stuff.Believe!!!

You'll get the job.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Don't worry too much about it - if you've made it through other interviews, you can make it through this one. The idea of the panel interview is to provide a group of people an opportunity to talk to you all at once - not so much to intimidate you, I don't think.

If they're looking to intimidate, then perhaps you don't want to be there. ;)

In the end, I'd echo some of the other sentiments - just stay calm and know what you know. Don't try to BS too much, as they'll likely see through it. If you're confident you know your stuff, then that's all that matters.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I went through one a couple of months ago. Two principals of the company, plus on the second interview, their techie guy, who was there to evaluate me from that angle. Not as bad as I expected, but the tech guy did push me a little to prove myself.

Irony was, I got the job and was on it for two days before I figured it was a stupid job and quit and went back to my old one.

adroit

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Victoria, BC
macartistkel said:
THANKS! And wow, the name marathon for type of interview fits perfect. Now I think they said there would be a total of four people. I wish I knew exactly what positions each interviewer held...at least then I would have some sort of clue what questions to expect. I just don't want to be thrown off guard (one little question threw me off in the phone interview and I could not think/speak for a second). I dread that happening again! :)

I've been both in panel interview and on the panel for interviews. It really isn't that much different from a regular interview. Except you have more people that will ask you things from many different angles. I wouldn't even bother finding out the positions of each interviewer since most likely there will be one from every position. However, a few positions that you can expect to be on a panel are the people who will be: your immediate boss, co-worker that is holding the same or similar position that you're applying for, may be an HR person (unless that was the person who called you), and probably a few more people who happens to be free on that day ;). My only advice is be prepared for everything, and never act like you know something that you don't. Also, review your past projects that you described in your resume to make sure that you remember all the details. It is very likely that you will be asked about that.

Usually if they used up all the allocated time for the interview that is a good news. ;) Good luck.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
OH MORE GREAT ADVICE! Thanks mac buddies! :)

This job would be a dream come true for me at this point in my career. If employed, I would be "running the show" in a brand new state of the art facility (NEW equipment = new MACS!!!) ;)

Not going to get my hopes up too high at this point but I really really want this job. I am excited to have made it this far.

Thanks again for the advice! I need all the help I can get! :)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
adroit said:
I've been both in panel interview and on the panel for interviews. It really isn't that much different from a regular interview. Except you have more people that will ask you things from many different angles. I wouldn't even bother finding out the positions of each interviewer since most likely there will be one from every position. However, a few positions that you can expect to be on a panel are the people who will be: your immediate boss, co-worker that is holding the same or similar position that you're applying for, may be an HR person (unless that was the person who called you), and probably a few more people who happens to be free on that day ;). My only advice is be prepared for everything, and never act like you know something that you don't. Also, review your past projects that you described in your resume to make sure that you remember all the details. It is very likely that you will be asked about that.

Usually if they used up all the allocated time for the interview that is a good news. ;) Good luck.

I couldn't agree more..If one is at a panel interview you are probably one of 3 finalist.If not THE person they will hire.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Remember that if they're paying to fly you out for a second interview, it's because they were impressed by your resume and initial phone interview. They are interested in you enough to go this expense. And that's a very good position for you to be in, so try to relax.

Also, try not to see the interview process as an adversarial kind of thing. Like emw said, this is just an opportunity for some additional people in the company to get to know you. Unless they're just psychos, they wouldn't go to all this trouble just to (intentionally) intimidate you. There's always going to be someone there whose purpose is to ask you the hard, more technical questions -- but try not to see that as an act of aggression. They're just sizing you up one more once before they make you an offer. :D

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I actually like interviewing with more than one person and heres why.

you can't answer everyone question to please a single interviewer sometimes they're not going to like everything you say. This is natural. With a panel interview, the panel might ask a followup question that will allow either the original question to become more clear or for you to connect with the follow up person even if you didn't connect with the initial person. Just be confident and remember that this is a part of life ... real nothing to get worried about.

I've done a significant amount of interviewing over the past six months, some was even very stressful on purpose. Good Cop Bad Cop is the one I hate the most ... you get comfortable then bam you're on the edge again ...

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
I've done a few. I think one important thing is to simply focus on the person who is asking you something *right now*, and not on the rest of the panel. If Sandy asks you a question, look her in the eye as you answer and don't think of all those other folks.

It's also sort of flattering to have so many people there who all want to learn about you, so just have a good time and go with it! It'll most likely be fun, though sometimes there's one ******* on the panel who tries to show off as to how hard his questions are, etc. If you have one of those, answer his questions briefly and try to go on to someone else's question ASAP.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Thank you True! :) And yes, I am flattered that they are taking the time to meet with me. The interview is in Portland and I currently reside in Virginia, so I am thrilled that I get this chance to prove myself! I am definitely going to think of it as a fun and exciting thing instead of worrying too much.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Well I am sitting in Portland Oregon right now and I had the panel interview today. Oh I cannot believe how nervous I was...I didn't do so well unfortunately. Actually after I left I cried my eyes out (big baby) and I called my mom to tell her the bad news. :( :( I just FROZE up and could not THINK OR TALK right. It was so weird to feel like that. Oh my I just cannot believe how stupid I sounded.

On one positive note, one of the people that interviewed me called me later on and ended up taking me to one of the facilities to check things out. That was fun and I learned some new things so that is always good. Everyone was super nice but I wish I had been awesome. This was really the perfect opportunity.

adroit

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Victoria, BC
That's too bad that the interview didn't go well. But don't let yourself down yet, you still have the chance (but don't get your hopes up though) especially when one of the people who interviewed you called you up later.

I was also in a panel interview for my current job as well and I also got really nervous in the interview. I thought I did really bad, and was already convinced myself that the job wasn't for me. Luckily, I have met my current boss twice before the panel and when he offered me the job he said that he've seen me enough times to know who I am. This turn out to be the best job ever, and you might be lucky like me.

You never know, if you did well during your one on one facility tour then you might still have a chance. Remember that they won't waste their time with you if they don't at least think that you're a fairly good person. ;)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Sorry things didn't go as you would have liked. But remember - you're always hardest on yourself, so perhaps it wasn't so bad after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.