Panicking: need printer quick & can't decide

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jimmy*, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Jimmy* macrumors newbie

Jimmy*

Usually i spend ages researching something before i buy but can't this time and need to order a printer today.

And it's driving me mad going round in circles.

hopefully someone can point me in the right direction of the minefield of mixed reviews that is printers!!!

Recently bought Alu Macbook so be used with that. Am graphic designer so want to use for checking bits and pieces of type, layouts etc before sending work for print/clients. Needs to be reliable, easy to use, cheap to run and wi fi would be good if it works well. A4 is fine i just need something simple that wont let me down.

Quick question: Should all-in-one printers be avoided?? Should i go with a simple printer?

Have considered all-in-ones: Canon pixma MP620 (lots of negative reviews on setting the thing up) Canon Pixma mx 850(good reviews but a bit overkill for me/too pricey) HP photosmart C7280 & 6380 (mixed reviews)

Can anyone recommend the perfect printer for me???

2. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

How about an Epson Artisan? I have an RX595, personally, and the image quality is fantastic.

EDIT: You should stay away from the workforce series though, as they only have 4 inks. The Artisans and Photo series have 6.

3. Jimmy* thread starter macrumors newbie

Jimmy*

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm very tempted by the Epson Artisan 700 (PX700W in UK).

Anyone using this model?

4. azdude macrumors 6502

For what it's worth, I also read the same MP620 reviews complaining about difficulty setting the thing up. I bought it anyway.

If you're not a buffoon, setup is no problem at all. I had it up and running via the built-in WiFi on my WPA-encrypted network, talking to two Macs in about 10-15 minutes. I've been thrilled with the printer so far, especially after finding it on sale for $99.

5. Jimmy* thread starter macrumors newbie

Jimmy*

So which one??

The Epson Artisan 700 or the Canon Pixma MP620?
    They're similar prices the epson being £20 more.

Anyone got strong opinions?

6. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I own a R1800, Great Printer, does 13 x 19 & Prints on DVD/CD printable discs. 5 stars.
    Also has 6 individual colors.
    I think it's r1900 now though, (Bought mine a few years ago).

7. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

I've never owned a canon, but I can tell you that when I was selling computer equipment at a mac reseller from 2001-2003, Epson was THE #1 printer sold to graphic artists. We had one guy in particular who came in and purchased 2 packs of premium glossy every week. How I remember this, I have no idea, but the Epson quality is top notch.

8. Jimmy* thread starter macrumors newbie

Jimmy*

The Epson R1900 does seem good; less naff than some of the all-in-one's.

Bit pricey, though.

9. Jimmy* thread starter macrumors newbie

Jimmy*

Bit the bullet and went for the Canon Pixma MP620. Arrives tomorrow. Hope it's the right choice...

10. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I have the Canon Pixma MP620 and quality of the machine is excelent, very durable and easy to use. Canon makes good printers.