Panicking~ plz help!!!! Macbook Pro cant restore from Time Machine!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hypeber, Mar 30, 2011.

1. hypeber macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I was reading online yesterday on how to store iTunes Library on a portable hard drive. Before I did that, I actually back up with Time Machine. While i was figuring out how to move the iTunes library, I accidently copy all those music artist folders on the desktop. After that i had like 1,000 artist folders on my desktop. I tried to undo it but I couldnt. I decided to restore my computer with the back up i did. I pop it the Mac OS 10.5 disk that came with my laptop in there and boot it from there, and selected restore from Time Machinese in the Untilities Section. The install was fine. When i reboot it, it just show me the screen with different langauages to tell me to restart. So what's going wrong here? Is it because my back up is 10.6.6? and the install disk i use was 10.5?

I also did a restore back in Feburary, i might try to use that one instead later, however I would lose all those files and music that i had between feb till now.

I was also wondering will it work if i first install the original 10.5 then register for the mac. After that boot the laptop with the snow leopard install disk and go to Utilities and restore from Time Machine?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You don't need to use the OS X disc.

Go in time machine options, click enter time machine, and go back to your backup with your external connected, it will put everything back the way it was.

Your message telling you to restart is a kernel panic, it can be caused by software or hardware, I can't tell you much beyond that.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

4. hypeber thread starter macrumors newbie

5. simsaladimbamba

Can this help?

Time Machine FAQ - 14. How do I restore my entire system?
    Anyway, if you had 10.6 on your system, it will suffice to use the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD, no need to go via 10.5.
    Btw, why don't you just delete the COPIED folders from the Desktop?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603