Panorama: BBC Vs. Scientology

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frohike, May 14, 2007.

1. Frohike macrumors regular

Hey there,
    I just wanted to raise a little awareness for "Panorama" tonight at 8:30 on BBC one. (Sorry it's for us British only!)Its a BBC reporter investigating the church of scientology and searching the basis of the "Religion". It looks so interesting, very contravercial and quite scary. Throughout the process of making the documentary they were followed, threatened, chased, attempted to be brainwashed on etc. Has anyone else seen or heard anything about it. It looks top notch!

All the best,
    Frohike

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I already have this set to record, in case I forget to watch it. Which is quite likely!

3. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

What's interesting is the attempts that are being made to discredit the presenter. He lost his temper and shouted at one of Scientologists (unprofessional and he has been reprimanded), this outburst was filmed and has been widely circulated via video sharing sites. If you go to where it's posted on You-Tube he's universally condemned by all comments, and supportive comments are removed by the video poster. All of which seems like a cynical, and highly transparent, way to make the chap look bad.

Sinister cult? Never has a truer word been spoken. Or perhaps they really are a religion, after all haven't all the major religions been guilty of aggression, murder and witch hunts (literal or otherwise) in their infancy?

4. iGav macrumors G3

That's what a couple of thousand years and a couple of rewrites affords you.

Credibility. Apparently.

5. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Saw a few clips of this on the news this morning. The BBC reporter really does lose it. I'm definitely going to check this out tonight.

6. Frohike thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i saw this online (see here) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/6651231.stm

Apparently he'd just been shown like a half hour film of a supposed anti-phychiatrist film claiming they were responsible for the holocaust, the film had like kids being injected in the eyes and torture footage and stuff. Anyone would feel angry and emotional after seeing that! Its just amazing how crazy and far-reaching this whole thing is!

7. Queso macrumors G4

I will definitely watch this. I like nothing better than seeing this organisation exposed for what it is, a sham and a fraud.

Scientology is not a religion. It's a business, and one that preys on the vulnerable and lonely.

8. Frohike thread starter macrumors regular

The founder of the philosophy of scientology actually was quoted severel different times referencing creating a business from religion. "If someone wants to earn millions of dollars they should create a new religion"

9. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

There wasn't really much substance to the show, but the Scientologists didn't do themselves many favours.

10. Queso macrumors G4

They never do. I walk past that centre on Tottenham Court Road most days. They're always trying to stand in the way and herd you in. I tell them to get stuffed or just obviously ignore them :)