Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Panther 7B39 has been released to developers.

The latest seed brings further bug-fixes and stability to the upcoming version of Mac OS X. Visual changes are few... with a revised About box, as well as the public inclusion of the Bluetooth options for the Mouse and Keyboard.

The Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse control panel had been inactive but present in previous English versions of Panther. While many speculate on Apple's launch of such a product, it could simply provide support for 3rd party Bluietooth devices, such as the new Belkin Bluetooth mouse mentioned last week on MacBytes.com.

MacNews.net.tc provides a list of changed components.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
A simple question:

Can Panther 10.3 be installed as an update over a current 10.2 ?

Or is it necessary to format the drive and install the OS from scratch ?

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Yes it can, but when I did it (with the very first seed), I had numerous problems with certain applications getting the generic icon and crashing upon launch.

Also my benchmarks were slower for an update over a clean install.

We're a number of builds along now though, perhaps Apple have sorted these problems.

AppleMatt

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
You know what guys? I'm still using 10.1.5.

And the computer with that is packed away in a storage facility waiting for me to get back to school.

Right now, I'm on WINDOWS 98SE! R0X0RZ! :D

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Originally posted by themadchemist
You know what guys? I'm still using 10.1.5.

And the computer with that is packed away in a storage facility waiting for me to get back to school.

Right now, I'm on WINDOWS 98SE! R0X0RZ! :D

aaah, nothing like a little bit of self inflicted pain from time to time...:p

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i need CDRs :(
i had 7A202 and labeled the 7B28 disc the wrong thing, so it wouldn't boot:(
keep the CD's name in tact or it won't boot to install!

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Both US sites are full. At least now the ADC download site is setting a threshold for max number of users; you get a "maximum connections reached, try again later message". I'm currently getting good rates from Japan.

vrapan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
UK
hope they fixed the address book bluetooth problem and safari became more stable.... but i dont complain i maxed out the mem of the pb and it is now flying :D my apple switching experience gets better. i love XCode!!!! hope they fixed it a bit too... can't wait to install that little kitty

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
All I want is Graphics and OpenGl performance above and beyond Jaguar, currently both are below.

I really hope there are major improvments by GM.

AppleMatt

A

AhmedFaisal

How about Bluetooth PC-Card Support in Panther?

Is Apple finally getting the hint that just supporting USB Dongles is quite rude to all Pre-Aluminum Powerbook owners who DO have PC-Card slots? I seriously hate the Dongles and and finally want to be able to use the 3com Bluetooth PC-Card (with retractable antenna) from my PC Notebook in my Powerbook. That is the one thing I think PCs have in advantage to Apples right now.
Cheers,

Ahmed

ryaxnb

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge

Cheers, CmdrLaForge
I've heard bad things about upgrading, but I doubt you have to reinstall. With OS X v10.2 anyway you can do a 'clean install' which can store your prefs, files, etc. away, reinstall, and move most of 'em back.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Originally posted by AppleMatt
All I want is Graphics and OpenGl performance above and beyond Jaguar, currently both are below.

I really hope there are major improvments by GM.

AppleMatt

Everything I've heard from people running Panther say that all games they've run on Panther run 10-20 fps faster than Jag on the same hardware. So it seems it IS way above Jag. Just perhaps not on your hardware.

I'd be interested in knowing what hardware you are using.

vrapan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
UK
I've heard bad things about upgrading, but I doubt you have to reinstall. With OS X v10.2 anyway you can do a 'clean install' which can store your prefs, files, etc. away, reinstall, and move most of 'em back.

I think that would be Archive and Install. From 10.2.6 to WWDC it worked. but from WWDC to 7B21 nothing worked apart from Clean install ie wipe out HD and install but then from 7B21 to 7B28 it was flawless... I hope form 7B28 to 7B39 will be the same

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by akac
I'd be interested in knowing what hardware you are using.

I've tried it on 12" PowerBook, Beige G3 (only WWDC build) and a DP 500MHz PowerMac G4.

Same results every time...consistently lower :(

AppleMatt

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
I've tried it on 12" PowerBook, Beige G3 (only WWDC build) and a DP 500MHz PowerMac G4.

Same results every time...consistently lower :(

AppleMatt

Hm. I know there are even threads about this on MacNN how games are running so much faster. Did you do an update? Clean Install? Archive install?

I guess the next question is - what graphics card? The PB 12'' sure - we know that one. But what about the other 2?

I know for myself on my Dual 1.25 with a 9000 I saw about 10fps extra in UT2003.

vrapan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
UK
Actually in my 12" PB Warcraft 3 seems a bit faster than it did with Jaguar... Haven't played anything else yet but with 7B28 warcraft runs better

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
One would expect that whatever h/w changes are coming in the new PB's they will be optimised for Panther too - but if they do come out this Tue, I'll be amazed if Panther is pre-loaded ...

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by akac
I guess the next question is - what graphics card? The PB 12'' sure - we know that one. But what about the other 2?

I know for myself on my Dual 1.25 with a 9000 I saw about 10fps extra in UT2003.

Various, we tried 3 I believe, but all ATi. Also clean installs (there's no point benching an upgrade). It's not just me saying this either, I've had loads of convos with people dissapointed with the graphics performance.

Did you record the increase? Type "stat fps" after typing tilde. Based on my experience so far, all I can say is that it's the same as the people who are saying the Virtual PC 6.1 update has given them a 15% speed boost.

AppleMatt

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Various, we tried 3 I believe, but all ATi. Also clean installs (there's no point benching an upgrade). It's not just me saying this either, I've had loads of convos with people dissapointed with the graphics performance.

Did you record the increase? Type "stat fps" after typing tilde. Based on my experience so far, all I can say is that it's the same as the people who are saying the Virtual PC 6.1 update has given them a 15% speed boost.

AppleMatt

ACtually yes. Running benchmarks on the same machine - show that Panther's graphics on my system are anywhere from 50% to 100% faster in some specific areas.

OpenGL shows to be much slower, but then running UT3 I get around 10 fps more. And yes, that's going by the UT FPS stats.

So...I guess my point is, it does seem to be a lot faster in many many areas. But there also seems to be some issues that obviously you are hitting. Its weird, but that's why this is not released - still beta.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
My UI scores are through the roof from Jaguar, 90-120% higher, which is very impressive. It's not all bad!

OpenGL and Quartz are the main offenders one my machines too. Anyway I'm sure Apple will get it sorted. Until then I've used the OpenAL update for UT2003.

AppleMatt

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
A simple question:

Can Panther 10.3 be installed as an update over a current 10.2 ?

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

Because Apple recognized the success of Archive and Install (see kbase article 107120) I'm sure they will keep at least that option open when you upgrade. It is a boon to troubleshooting problems that happen when the system preferences get corrupted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.