Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
AppleInsider has posted a couple screenshots from Panther 7B39 -- the most recent build.

FileVault has made its appearance in the most recent Panther build, with control panel settings to enable the new security feature of Mac OS X. Also shown is the Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse control panel previously mentioned.

Meanwhile, a reader submitted this screenshot of the About This Mac window from the new Panther build.

Vonnie

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2003
If the login-password is stored in the netinfo database, readable by all users, hashed using a simple DES algorithm, limited to 8 characters, is FileVault that secure?

Depending on your password strength, a cracker could get to your encrypted files within a week (ie by using John).

Here is to hoping that Panther does MD5 or SHA-1 password hashes by default, doesn't make it world-readable.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Sweet -- but doesn't the lock for the "Click the lock to prevent further changes" look an awful lot like PGP's application icon?

Of course, how many shapes/colors of generic pad lock are there? Not so many that you'd expect these to be different, but if PGP has their icon registered as a trademark, we might start seeing Apple make some adjustment to that button.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by Vonnie
If the login-password is stored in the netinfo database, readable by all users, hashed using a simple DES algorithm, limited to 8 characters, is FileVault that secure?

Depending on your password strength, a cracker could get to your encrypted files within a week (ie by using John).

Here is to hoping that Panther does MD5 or SHA-1 password hashes by default, doesn't make it world-readable.

Panther has greatly improved password security. I don't recall the details, but it's no longer limited to 8 chars, among other things.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
It sounds like Panther is wrapping up pretty soon, I cannot wait for my copy!

No kidding! As soon as Apple announces pre-orders for Panther, I am *SO* going to the Apple Store for Education and ordering my copy. :) I don't care if it comes in December, I just want to plunk down my money and pre-order!

I want Panther! Wah!

nighttraitor

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by Catfish_Man
Panther has greatly improved password security. I don't recall the details, but it's no longer limited to 8 chars, among other things.

I think there was an article referenced in MacBytes about how Linux and Mac OSX were using 12-bit encription now and windows was still using 8-bit. I couldn't find the article there, maybe someone else knows where it is.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Just a little disconcerting

Is anyone else concerned that the "supposed" shipping date is about a month away and they are still working out bugs in the applications?

Apple is still pounding out bugs in Panther that cause eMacs and CRT based iMacs from failing to wake up from sleep.

Meanwhile, glitches remain with Trash icon updates and application aliases in the dock, where the applications reside on separate partitions. Finally, the Panther versions of ImageCapture and iTunes remain fussy, with one hanging on start and the other crashing when quit, respectively.

Talk about going down to the wire. The people programming this OS and the apps for it must have a Jolt IV drip going 24/7.

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Re: Just a little disconcerting

Originally posted by SiliconAddict

Talk about going down to the wire. The people programming this OS and the apps for it must have a Jolt IV drip going 24/7.
Could not agree more! (If that really was ironi)

beware_phog

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2003
Talk about going down to the wire. The people programming this OS and the apps for it must have a Jolt IV drip going 24/

If you've ever done any software development, you'd know that your work is never done. So many opportunities for error. Impossible to test everything all the time. I'm glad they are keeping at it and moving things along.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002

No, just Steve Jobs and a 24-Volt cattle prod....:D

CybrCyfr

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2003
Stability?

Does anyone know if this build is more stable when using the Finder and Safari compared to 7B28?

I have been reluctant to logon to the ADC and download it due to stability issues I saw with 7B28.

thatguy_youknow

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2003
Re: Stability?

Originally posted by CybrCyfr
Does anyone know if this build is more stable when using the Finder and Safari compared to 7B28?

I have been reluctant to logon to the ADC and download it due to stability issues I saw with 7B28.

This is by far the best build yet. :eek: :D
Get it if you are an ADC member.

Question: When ctrl+clicking on the dock icon of an open App with multiple windows has it always given a list of the windows. :confused: I mean in Jaguar and earlier versions of OS X.

Modano

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
New Orleans
Re: Re: Stability?

Originally posted by thatguy_youknow
Question: When ctrl+clicking on the dock icon of an open App with multiple windows has it always given a list of the windows. :confused: I mean in Jaguar and earlier versions of OS X.
Yes, Jaguar does this, and I think Puma did too.

BillyShears

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2003
Re: Re: Stability?

Originally posted by thatguy_youknow
This is by far the best build yet. :eek: :D
Get it if you are an ADC member.

Yes. In Jaguar and earlier, you would right/control click on the Finder icon and it would say "No Windows", which brought great joy to many a mac fan.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Originally posted by CrackedButter
Whats the hoopla with the About Box?

Well, didn't the past Panther builds have the build number in the about box? The fact it says "Pre release" really suggests they're coming down to the end now. A couple more bug-fix releases and they'll be looking at release candidates I garner.

york2600

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
Nope they've always done this. It kinda sucks this way. You have to open up the system profiler to check the build. I'm sure there's like 100 ways to do it in the terminal too.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003

Is anyone else concerned that the "supposed" shipping date is about a month away and they are still working out bugs in the applications?

DISCLAIMER: I am not a software developer. I probably couldn't program my way out of a paper bag to save my life if my pants were on fire (to mix a few metaphors). I do know how to make my TI-83 display menus. But that's about it. :D

Anyway, what else would Apple's SW developers be doing for that last month besides squashing bugs? Gossiping about Avie Tevanian? Now that they're done implementing features, that's all there is to do, right? And of course there'll be some revisions (10.3.1 et al.), and most of the improvements will be bugfixes. In other words, I imagine almost all of the development on Panther from now until the release of 10.3.6 (or whatever) will be squashing bugs (aside from making it compatible with any new hardware and stuff like that).

On a completely different topic, am I to understand that you can't click on the "10.3 (pre-release)" text and get a build number, and click again and get the serial number? If so, well, that really sucks. :)

WM

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Maybe you are reading too much into it and it was just posted because the picture was there and for the sake of posting it. It is a bit different the the regular "About" box, so perhaps it's just to show the change in its layout.

mara

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
"Nope they've always done this. It kinda sucks this way. You have to open up the system profiler to check the build. I'm sure there's like 100 ways to do it in the terminal too."

Actually you don´t have to. Just open About this Mac and click the "Version" text. Then you get the serial number as well as build number.

Or do you mean Panther? But it is working there too I think...

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
The about box illustrates that Apple has abandoned the Aqua-style OS X logo & use of Apple Garamond in favour of a flat grey Apple logo and Myriad. It seems the Aqua-style Apple logo for the Apple menu is the last artifact of the old style - expect it to turn grey before the final release!

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by Foocha
It seems the Aqua-style Apple logo for the Apple menu is the last artifact of the old style - expect it to turn grey before the final release!

But it's already grey!

...you mean you don't run graphite?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.