Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I am using Panther 7B68, and I have to say that this version look extremely close to the final build. Every app. is in its final form (QuickTime, iTunes, Address Book, iChat, iCal, etc.).

Also, nowhere in the readme, install, etc. does Apple mention this build being a beta release. The "Intro to Mac OS X" when you first install the OS is all new, and very cool.

Let me know if you want any screenshots of anything.

And yes, Panther is VERY fast.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I reckon it will finish in the late 7B70s to early 80s. Its still got a few things to wind out of it. but I really can't wait for it

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i wouldn't say 7B68 is all THAT close to perfect, but it's really getting there.

i'm still having problems with the password protect screen on the screensaver. and suddenly, when i use fast user switching, all my tasks are put to 'sleep' and i get logged out of iChat...i really dislike that...i want to be able to not log out completely, but go to the login screen when i leave my computer.

also, there are some minimal dock/exposé graphical errors that happen frequently. by this i mean the dock staying part way up after selecting out of the "all windows" mode.

i had 2 kernel panics already...which is not a good sign, and i've only been running it for about 3 days.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
question about fast-user switching

When Steve showed us fast-user switching, he said that some of the accounts were set to require a password, and others weren't. Well I played around with Panther 7B21, and I couldn't figure out how to do that. All the accounts wanted their passwords when I tried to fast-user-switch to one of them. Can you explain this please?

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
PHoto

Check it out...

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 495

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Re: question about fast-user switching

Originally posted by FredAkbar
When Steve showed us fast-user switching, he said that some of the accounts were set to require a password, and others weren't. Well I played around with Panther 7B21, and I couldn't figure out how to do that. All the accounts wanted their passwords when I tried to fast-user-switch to one of them. Can you explain this please?

when you create an account, you don't set a password. hence...there is no password required.

TheFish

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
The south, the deep south
hey, this isnt really a preformance question but in the welcome screen when your installing and setting up internet and all that, is the music it plays in the background still catchy like jag or is it the same? stupid question i know but im curious.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i wouldn't say 7B68 is all THAT close to perfect... i had 2 kernel panics already...which is not a good sign, and i've only been running it for about 3 days.

Ewww, yechh, kernel panics :( .

Anyone else experiencing these w/ B68? What r u doing when they occur? If you average 2 KPs/3 days, I doubt this beta is anywhere near release!

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i just had another kernel panic last night when trying to start up mozilla firebird...it was an older version...after a restart i downloaded the newest build and everything ran just fine.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by TheFish
hey, this isnt really a preformance question but in the welcome screen when your installing and setting up internet and all that, is the music it plays in the background still catchy like jag or is it the same? stupid question i know but im curious.

Catchy.... yet different. :)

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by TheFish

I downloaded the intro/welcome from somewhere. PM if you want it.

The GM of Jaguar was 6C115 and people are saying we are close to GM for Panther in the upper 60's. Apple doesn't let those developers sleep. :D

ryanthered

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Originally posted by amin
Ewww, yechh, kernel panics :( .

Anyone else experiencing these w/ B68? What r u doing when they occur? If you average 2 KPs/3 days, I doubt this beta is anywhere near release!

I have been running Panther seeds on my 12-inch PB since WWDC and haven't had a single KP. I really depends on the hardware configuration, I guess since I only have added RAM.

A lot of people have had problems with Safari as well, but it seems really stable to me. 68 was probably the first build where I didn't cringe when using the Finder, expecting it to crash on me :)

Off to install 74....

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Freg3000
I downloaded the intro/welcome from somewhere. PM if you want it.

The GM of Jaguar was 6C115 and people are saying we are close to GM for Panther in the upper 60's. Apple doesn't let those developers sleep. :D

So? That means nothing.

10.0 went to 4K78
10.1 went to 5G64
10.2 went to 6C115

Notice a trend?

On top of that:

1. There is often more than one build a day

2. As the OS has matured, the build trains get shorter

I don't thinkwe're far off from GM at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.