Panther can't use disks made on Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mroseneo, Jan 9, 2008.

1. mroseneo macrumors member

Hello, I am currently stuck with my iBook G3 500 until the new MBP comes out. My wife is borrowing (keeping) my Macbook.

Anyways, I have a 320GB external USB drive, but I cannot get it to connect when I plug it in. I made this drive on Tiger with my MacBook.

It just comes up and says:

"You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click Ignore." It has the options to Initialize, Ignore, or Eject.

I have been searching for this online. I found an apple document and added a line to /etc/hostconfig , but it still won't read it.

Is this because the drive is formated with a special HFS+ for Tiger or is it because I made it on an Intel Mac?

Even in Disc Utility it only shows the disc and not the two HFS+ partitions on it.

I tried this in Tiger on the same computer and it worked, but Tiger is extremely slow on this computer.

Can anyone help me? :eek:

2. mroseneo thread starter macrumors member

Well I fixed the problem. One of the partitions on the disk was a Time Machine partition. I guess Panther cannot read the disk properly when there is a Time Machine partition on it. I formatted that partition to FAT32 and plugged it into the iBook G3. Both regular HFS+ and FAT partitions are not showing up. Well, anyone else who has this problem will know the answer.

Panther doesn't work well with Time Machine partitions for me. Has anyone proved this wrong?