Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
but what really matters...

...to me, at least, is fixing the open/save dialogue boxes. Make 'em easy, fast, consistent. Don't make me resort to the mouse. Let me quickly see a volume without having to shfit-tab then left-arrow back OR put a new favorite in (after digging aroudn to find the favorites folder). Don't make 'em default to having the cursor in "Go To" (hey, what does that field DO, anyway? Seriously, can someone tell me? I checked out the help file and got nowhere). Look at system 7 for an example of a great open/save box...or, Heaven help us, look at Windows XP.

Three button mice are fine, but what many, many people want is a computer that can be used not just by computer geeks, but by beginners. I'd love to go back to the days when Apple had the EASIEST user interface, not just the most technically superior.

TitaniumX2

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
St.L., MO
Ya never know....

I'd be the first to toss this in the trash as well if it hadn't been for a lucky observation I made the other day.

I use a hacked Dock to return the MIP functionality (it copies the old beta dock over) I forget the app that did this but I'm sure it can be found on VT easily enough :p

This also leaves each minimized window with a non-functioning Close menu item.
Until iTunes 4. It's minimized (in Dock) window will close from this item (no other app does including Safari) and if it's "minimized in place" the close function will still continue to work.

Why would iTunes 4 implement this when no other application from Apple or anyone else does? To me it COULD be an indicator that this Dock functionality is indeed at least a valid RUMOR.

---- end my .02 ----

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
ASSUMING THE LOOP RUMORS POST TO BE TRUE, I SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING...

System-wide metal- I hate Metal

Flatter Aqua- I hate the new iTunes icons. the 3d effect is much better. The new style looks too cartoon-ish

Improved Dock- OK, but nothing too exciting

Piles- Useless (to me, anyway)

iChat 2.0- I'm looking for better profile and away message support. Dare I say more like AOL's AIM

QuickTime 6.5- Cool, as long as I can download it for free. ( I just paid for QT pro last month)

Safari 1.0- Nice, but still way too much metal (see above).

iWorks- I just got M$ Office for free. It's herisy, but its good enough.

Advanced Mouse Support Built-in- I have no problem with my brand new Kensington 3 button with Jaguar. YAWN.

Advanced Software Update- Nice, I guess.

64-Bit Support- This may come in handy when I get a Power Mac next year.

To summerize- There is no way I'm paying 70$ (student discount) for this. Its not worth it. Hell that's 7 CD's at the iTunes Music Store. I'd much rather do that then spend the $ on an interface I can't stand looking at. I really hate the metal interface.
wow your already complaining about stuff that isnt confirmed.if you hate metal so much change it, thats what i did. if apple sticks to their timeline they described, 10.3 will be free, but notice the keyword "if"

iJon

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by iJon
wow your already complaining about stuff that isnt confirmed.if you hate metal so much change it, thats what i did. if apple sticks to their timeline they described, 10.3 will be free, but notice the keyword "if"

iJon

You ignored the part where i said "If Loop Rumors is true..."

What really interests me is changing the metal. How do i that? thanks.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Re: "64-bit optimized"

Originally posted by aasmund
We must live in different universes. 64bit not only affects mathematical operations but it increases the number of instructions, the register size and other things all these things will obviously mean a new optimization (just look at what Intel is doing with their P4 optimized compilers). Hell, it's a whole new architecture, both recompilation and optimization will offcourse yield significant performance enhancements.

Just by recompiling the OpenBSD kernel on my Athlon gives me 1.5-3% performance increase (that is w/o any optimization)

So take your crap and stuff it back into your chest,

Regards.

You are quite incorrect.

The RISC instruction set is always 32-bits wide. That is not changing with PPC-64 (the PPC instruction set, as is often pointed out, was originally designed to use 64-bit memory addresses and then whittled down to using 32-bit memory addresses and registers for consumer PCs at the time).

As for having wider registers: that's true, but these are not vector registers so having wider registers doesn't mean you can put twice as much data in there and use it twice as fast. To add 1+1 you will use the exact same processor resources on a 64-bit PPC as you would on a 32-bit PPC. If you have two 32-bit ints to manipulate, each will go into its own 64-bit register and be operated on; they can't both be put into the 64-bit register and manipulated in half the cycles. Now, if the 970 also doubled the width of the Altivec registers, you would have a point (twice as wide registers there means twice as many pieces of data can be manipulated at once), but that is just not the case.

In short, 64-bit PPC instructions at the core buy you two things: 1) much larger addressable memory space (which allows for machines with more than 2GB of memory, although this doesn't mean Apple will provide such anytime soon ... it also allows for addressing of flat files larger than 2GB in a more straightforward manner than is currently employed), and 2) direct manipulation of much larger integer values (previously you'd have to manipulate large ints as two 32-bit ints with special cleanup code or just treat them as floating point numbers).

Now, the larger applications for those two advances are fairly large, and, yes, will only really be known when the consumer software space realizes that they can now ply with 64-bits and still have someone buy their software. Today, these features are incredibly useful for databases and other specific server-ish applications, so you'll hear a lot of people saying that this will bring high-end databases to the consumer (which is ... well, not really a valid conclusion; it removes one roadblock but the main roadblocks of cost and demand remain).

Finally, regarding per-processor optimizations: that is more due to the specific characteristics of the processor (pipeline characteristics, memory access, etc) than to specific instructions. The PPC instruction set will not change much at all between the G4 and the 970; just the 64-bit specific instructions will be added. Between your P3 and P4 or "generic Pentium-class" and Athlon there are both more efficient instructions added (this is a characteristic of a CISC system) and radical processor data-flow changes that allow gcc or whatever compiler you use to make the code run much more efficiently when it knows the specific processor.

Now, yes, as apps are recompiled optimized for the 970 we will see better performance because the apps will begin to actually take advantage of the characteristics of the 970. I view this the other way around: we Mac developers have had to adapt to an unnaturally-constrained system bus for the G3 and G4 lines, and will be able to return to more "universal" design patterns with the 970.

For instance, it is often more efficient to calculate a bunch of loop constants inside the loop with a G4 instead of calculate them once and pull them in from memory as needed because calculating them may take a dozen cycles but pulling them in would take 50-100. You won't find that in any design patterns book (in fact, you'll find just the opposite), but as a Mac programmer you just have to do it or you'll have crappy performance.

So, yes, we will see a dramatic increase in performance right up front with G4-designed apps running on the 970, and we will see more improvement when those apps start "optimizing" for the 970 environment. But, that has nothing to do with 64-bitedness; it has everything to do with the other characteristics of the PPC970.

The specific effects of 64-bitedness will likely be small right up-front, and escalate much more slowly. To take advantage of 64-bits will take much more design, much more thought and much more innovative eureka moments, not just a recompile on an optimized compiler.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
You ignored the part where i said "If Loop Rumors is true..."

sorry i was at school when i posted this, didnt read everything carefully, well mine changes along with a theme changer, but you can just change safari if you want. search http://www.versiontracker.com and see what they are, i forgot the names of the apps.

iJon

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Metal scheme

Themer - I like the available-separately platinum look

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Here's a suggested feature: SPEED!

Leave out all the extra new junk and just make it much faster. I'll pay my $130 for that immediately. 10.2 didn't deliver like it should have.

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Agreed!

Yes, if UNIX is supposed to be fast and efficient...OS X should in theory be able to beat OS 9 now and then, instead of being a slug.

A 1 GHz Mac positively FLIES under 9...it's OK under X.

Mineral

macrumors member
May 10, 2003
Arkansas
Why can't they just make OSX so amazingly fast and also add easier-to-use functionality??

These guys are based on being pioneers.. let's see it!!:mad:

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Re: Agreed!

Originally posted by allpar
Yes, if UNIX is supposed to be fast and efficient...OS X should in theory be able to beat OS 9 now and then, instead of being a slug.

A 1 GHz Mac positively FLIES under 9...it's OK under X.

It's amazing how varied people's perception of speed seems to be =).

For me, speed is the fact that a program that I've been working on for the last couple of years (ok, loooong sebaticals between =)) runs without killing the rest of the system, or being killed by other programs. Yes it chews 50% of the CPU on a friend's Beige G3, but the same program running under MacOS 9 either would kill all the other programs running (I saw it bring the mouse to a crawl on a G3/350) or be killed by some pathetic POS program that hogs all of the CPU.

So while a window may take a tenth of a second longer to open on MacOS X it's worth it. It's worth it everytime some other POS program (or one of my not so stable yet new projects) crashes and doesn't bring the rest of my system to a halt. It's worth it every time some program tells me that the current operation will take 5,000 years to complete. It's worth it when after 2 years of crashing and locking up systems a program of mine springs to life as if nothing was ever wrong :).

So with all due respect (and while donning my 100% effective anti-flame gear), I find all the comments about MacOS 9 being faster than MacOS X to be complete crap. It's been an absolutely lovely experience on a B&W G3/350, Dual G4/450, TiBook 400, and now a TiBook 1Ghz. And from what a friend of mine tells me, good on a Beige G3 too. Except for the Beta. We all know that was slower than molassas in winter :D

X-Baz

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Leeds, England

If it's a Cocoa app then Metallizer from Un sanity will do it. Or you can do it yourself if you have the developer tools installed - open Interface Builder, find the application's NIB file (which is inside the application) and uncheck the "textured window" flag.

X-Baz

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Leeds, England
Oops, typed that from memory and it's not quite right ... using the Finder locate your app, right-click and "Show Package Contents". Go to the Resources folder, and find the NIB file for the application (for Safari it's English.lproj/Browser.nib) - open this in Interface Builder, select Tools/Show Info and then uncheck "Textured Window".

Attachments

• safari.jpg
    safari.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 227

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Re: Re: Agreed!

Originally posted by Rincewind42
It's amazing how varied people's perception of speed seems to be =).
[snip]I find all the comments about MacOS 9 being faster than MacOS X to be complete crap.

Well, that's one person's experience. Some of us didn't find OS 9 to be a crash-happy system, and did not have problems with applications hogging CPU time. There's also more CPU to go around under 9 because the system isn't using so much of it - the same reason a Win98 system can be faster than a WinXP system despite its technical inferiority.

I will admit I once found the computer to be going slowly because of a badly written process. So I switched from Virex to another virus program... and did the same on my PC, which had the same problem!

PS> Nobody answered this, so I will ask it again. What the @#*&(*&@!#! does the "Go To" field in the open/save dialogue box do? How do I use it?

X-Baz

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Leeds, England
Go to

Originally posted by allpar
PS> Nobody answered this, so I will ask it again. What the @#*&(*&@!#! does the "Go To" field in the open/save dialogue box do? How do I use it?
Type ~/Library - hit return ... see what is selected. It's kind of a command line ...

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Re: Go to

Originally posted by X-Baz
Type ~/Library - hit return ... see what is selected. It's kind of a command line ...

Oh-ho! Gotcha! I didn't think of the slash for some reason.

THANK YOU!!!!

This will make my OS X life bearable!!!

(I'm now a dual user. I use X as much as I can tolerate, and use 9 when I need to get work done in a hurry and find X distracting...or use SPSS...or a disk utility...or back up to DVD-RAM. I am trying to convert to X because I see the potential...and this trick will help A LOT. Wonder why it's not in Apple Help?)

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Themes

Yes, themes would be great. Though they were also promised for 10.1 and 10.2 as I recall. and for that matter 10.0.

If Jaguar was any indication, Apple will not do much in the user-interface realm.

Though I now am using the Go To: line and am happy for it, I find it a quirk that it operates on the left hand column and not the right, where the eye naturally focuses (lots of research to back me up on that which is why magazine ads are usually on the right), and I still find the open/save boxes inconsistent. And even without magnification, the garbage moves down in the dock when I try to throw things away. And the way network disks are mounted is counter-intuitive - though once you look it up, it makes sense. Problem is, using OS X is one of those things wehre you need the manual... or, rather, you need A manual, and they don't really give you one, just a quick intro that misses a lot of important things.

And then of course there's the install problems. How hard would it really be to program in all that permission and disk integrity checking? Why does every system update result in a flurry of people reporting that they lost use of their computers? Not acceptable...even in the Windows world.

I'm really hoping Apple gets on the ball and goes back to being the computer for the restof us, because the computer geek community - and I - can always switch to Linux and pay $400 for a computer instead of $1,600. Sure, it uses more power, but I can spend $50 on a set of 15 compact fluourescent bulbs and more than make it up. (That's savings of 45-60 watts per bulb). Likewise, if I spend a whole $700 on a custom PC, I can get high quality parts. Now, I don't do that because I'm a Mac person, but Apple has to do something to convince me to stay with 'em as the desirability of a dual-boot XP/Linux+KDE system gets ever higher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.