Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
UK
This is something that has been bugging me for a while. As I had to check my email on my.mac webmail account a few moments ago I thought ask the knowledgable people on this forum.

I use .mac as my main email account.

On the Mac, as I receive email I read and then delete or file the email (have many folders) as required. I know that the folders are relicated on .mac; as new ones are created on my Mac they end up on .mac.

However when I go to .mac via the Web interface (usually on the PC at work) the emails are not deleted or filed as they are shown on the Mac :( .

Am I doing something wrong, is there a way to fix this or do I just accept this? :confused:

Any ideas would be appreciated.

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Lincoln said:
Anyone got any ideas? :confused:

What is happening NOW is what is supposed to happen. Whatever files/folders you setup in Mail on your computer is NOT synched to .mac.

Tiger is supposed to extend iSync to your Mail folder so all folders, messages will be the same when you sign into .mac while on the road. It is not this way now. Wait a few weeks.

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
UK
Thanks for the help pncc, I wasn't aware that this is the ways things are currently.

Another reason to get Tiger!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
My recollection from when I was a .mac subscriber is that you could specify folders to appear on both your home Mac and .mac's web interface. If you only used those folders, then you'd have an exact copy online of your home directories. So it's doable, but you might run out of space.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Do you use IMAP or POP3? If you use IMAP, your folders and deleted messages will be sync'ed. If you use POP3, they will not. So switch ti IMAP if you're using POP3!

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
UK
Not sure

I'm using a ".mac" account type which I think is a variation of an IMAP type, its definitely not a POP3 account though.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I use both the webmail and mail app. Any changes made in either place (deletions, new folders, moving email etc.) are reflected immediatly with the other, without me having to sync or change anything.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Sky Blue said:
I use both the webmail and mail app. Any changes made in either place (deletions, new folders, moving email etc.) are reflected immediatly with the other, without me having to sync or change anything.

Same here.

If your account type says .Mac, then it should be IMAP. (To get POP3 access to your .Mac mail, you have to specify it as POP account instead of .Mac account). Now I don't know what the problem is. Wish I can help more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.