Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
This thread on 4OSX posts (real) screencaps from Panther.

Depicted in the screenshots are: Finder Window, Mail, System Preferences, Exposé Panel and in action, DVD Player, iChat 2 with VideoConferencing, Activity Monitor, Labels and Finder.

Sherlock is reported to be at 3.6, Safari at v85 (1.0), X11 included, and additions to Address Book.

A new feature called Exposé appears to be a yet-undescribed feature providing you with an overview of mini-versions of your windows, organized geographically by type of window.

MacRumors' reports indicate that the rumored 'Piles' feature is nowhere to be found in the latest releases.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
it's beautiful! i like that the stripes are now subdued, i can finally put smoothstripes to rest. the ichat features are Godsends. hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. folder actions are available in 10.2, just launch the ScriptMenu.menu and you'll see them.

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2002
they are real pics as far as i can tell...i like it ...i like it a lot, ESPECIALLY the new finder, love it!

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
I love it... I love the toned down aqua, and I think the UI changes look great.

I'd really be interested in knowing other changes to iChat, such as support for more AIM features (animated icons, voice chat, etc.) as well as support for other protocols, (MSN, ICQ, Yahoo)...

Also, I'm wondering how Apple got AOL to add Video Chat to the AIM server, since both AIM and .Mac go through the AOL servers when using iChat.

All very interesting... I'm sure after the Keynote we'll be seeing more leaked builds and screen shots. Bring it on!

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
Sweet.

The 'folder actions' under the contextual menus in the Finder have got me excited. :D

I am, however, a little wary of the sidebar view in the Finder... looks much too much like Win XPee.

Bravo, Apple. So when can we plan on picking up a copy? :)

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
here's to the hopes that ichat will have more features than just video support. :rolleyes:

also i'm curious as to why in the system preferences there is a change to "desktop & Screen Saver"...as opposed to them being separate and it being called "screen effects".

also out of curiousity, the non-conformity of metal vs. aqua ... is the finder now metal instead of aqua...and why does aqua look more like max rudberg's "smooth stripes"?

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
WOW

Not only do we get the best description of the G5 to date, but we get Panther screenshots and confirmation that developers are using dual 2.0 970's with indentical specs to what was leaked on Apple's site. Assuming this isn't BS (could be), life will be sweet come Monday.

macdong

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by iShater
Hmm, they look good. Now, the question is which part is going to be worth the paying for the upgrade? :confused:

you don't need to.
just buy a new PowerMac G5 later when OS X 10.3 is shipping.

wdw_

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2002
yes, please post a mirror. I'm dying to see what you guys are talking about.:(

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
this sucks!

Can anyone post screen shots someplace else? For some reason I can not get in to the site to view the screen shots. Are they down already? Apple legal say something? Too much traffic?

hacurio1

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2002
Re: Panther Screenshots

These last few days have been so full of excitement that I am kind of sentimental right now…..I think I also need a Kleenex!!! WOW….like OMG!
I love how panther looks, plus what excites me more is the fact that it will be soooo blasting fast on the new dual 2Ghz with 8Gb of RAM. Can someone slap me? …I still think all this is a dream. Nuff said, I love it!

:D

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
No big surprises here. OS X.3 seems like a refined OS X.2.

The Activity Monitor utility seems like an improvement over previous monitoring applications.

The new DVD player may look better but there is no sign of surround sound options (maybe the optical audio rumor is just that).

Expose is novel enough but we have yet to see it in action; clever Open GL graphics in the Finder perhaps?

The Finder Get Info window seems like The Son Of HappyMac. Glad to see he has grown so much since last year.

We do not accept money from Finder Labels in this Mac. Glad to see one of OS 9's best UI features make an overdue return.

iChat with video and audio streaming? I would like to know if it will work with any FireWire camera or just USB.

Mail is same old and so is System Preferences.

Looks like the Apple Mouse is still the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.