Panther to Tiger.... one more time HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

A few DUMB questions. from a very un-computer person.
    My Mac is a PISMO (firewire) G3 with
    640 Ram
    20Gb HHD
    Processor PPC 500MHz.
    OS Is Panther 10.3.9.
    Planning on installing new OS from a Tiger DVD ( best method please)
    How much free space ( I have about 7 GB left) do I need to 'install & archive' Tiger 10.4
    Will all my old apps be automatically re-installed onto Tiger. i.e.. Browsers, ethernet (internet) connexion, Photoshop, Toast, iTunes iPhoto . Printer /Scanner, Word, Graphic converter and more..... etc.
    Should I disconnect my Ext. firewire HD and USB stuff while installing.
    Because for the moment I have both my Itunes library and my IPhoto library on my Ext.-HD.. I'm worried that if I disconnect the ext.-HD and the USB the new OS won't be able to find stuff when I re-plug it all in....
    On USB I have an Ext CD burner and USB Audio/Midi interface 'cos my headphone jack is busted.
    Please keep any answers simple because the idea that I could screw up my perfectly good old OS and computer to boot, is really flipping me out.
    Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That should be fine. It just needs enough room for the new files, which I think is about 4 GB for the bare-bones install with all extraneous stuff disabled. However, you should delete the Panther backup after installing since you'll be running on very little free space until you do so and your performance may suffer.

Yes, if you select the Preserve user accounts and network settings option when installing.

No need. It doesn't matter whether they're connected/turned on or not, since the OS isn't installing to those drives.

3. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks "Blue revolution" One of these days I'll pluck up my courage and do It... one last question Does "Classic" run on Tiger I still have a few app's that use the Classic environment... But they are not really important. I suppose If I threw out classic I would gain a bit more space.
    D.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution