Panther to Tiger.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

For the moment I'm running OSX Panther 10.3.9 ....I have a "copy" of the Tiger DVD install disc.... I want to do an "Archive and install" conserving all my old app's and settings! but I'm not sure the disc will work and would hate to screw up my perefectly good Panther OS. Like freezing in the middle of an install.
    Any way to check out the Tiger DVD before trying to install.
    My system is G3 Pismo PPC 750 /500Mhz with 640Mo SDRAM and about 7GB free space on the HD.
    Thanks for any info.

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Try Disk Image and make a image copy of the Tiger disk to see if it can copy it. Then you will know the disk is good or bad. I would recommend you stick with Panther. Tiger uses more memory than Panther. If you had a G4 and more memory, Tiger is faster.

I have a Powerbook G4 and downgraded to Panther only because when I connect to an external hard drive, spotlight indexes get rebuilt when shared with Intel Macs running Leopard.

3. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Carbon Copy Cloner

Before you do anything with the Tiger disc, please do a backup. Regardless of what you end up doing or not doing with the Tiger disc, it's always a good idea to have a backup.

I like using Carbon Copy Cloner. You can find it here : http://www.bombich.com/