Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tylerboyo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Cardiff, UK
hey, i got a big project for my deisng course in uni, we need to use pantone colours, so basiclaly choosing them before we develop the idea too much. what i want to know, is how to i apply the pantone colors, from the booklet, to illustrator and photoshop. i know how to do it in quark, was just wondering with the adobe suite.
thanks in advance

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Illustrator: Menu: Window>Swatch Libraries>Pantone... 9 kinds in CS1

Photoshop: A bit more problematic as for genuine spot colours, you'll have to work in PSD, EPSs or PDFs or even DCS... unless you work in greyscale/bitmap and colour the files up in your page-layout software. Anyway, the Pantone libraries are available under 'custom' in the Colour Picker. Or in the Swatches palette, click the top-right little triangle...

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Agreed. Found that one out the hard way.

this is why they have those fancy but uber expensive books and card samples of every pantone color. my work supplies me with some, and they said its only been here since last year, and I was like, are you freakin serious? All we do is use Pantones!

oh, and they are only good for like 1 year, or the colors fade. (so the company says...)

Mookamoo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
Remember if you specify a Pantone colour and then print it in CYMK it will look totally different.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
You're best off sticking with solid coated colours
not if the paper and final product are to be matte and not glossy.

I'll rephrase :)

You're best off sticking with solid coated ... for this job ie. a uni project which isn't going to professional print.

Uncoated will look a bit washed out printed to inkjet or colour laser.

not if the company printing it notices your swatches are marked as Pantone colors, then they will print at that pantone color, just like your swatch should.

But you'd have to decide spot colours and process colours before hand, when getting quotes initially.

TheAtwookie

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2007
Lubbock, TX
Remember if you specify a Pantone colour and then print it in CYMK it will look totally different.

However, if you have access to a Pantone swatch book, there should be a CYMK "equivilant" listed. I've used those in the past for some of my smaller jobs where I didn't want to pay for pantone inks and it worked fairly well.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO

On 4 color press/4 color process...yes.

On a digital copier...no, not if the copier has a native Pantone system in place. We have 2 digital color copiers (which are CMYK obviously) where I work that both have PMS color matching and print PMS colors correctly and true to color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.