Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I was looking into finally buying some pantone guides (yes I know I'm very lazy :)) and was thrown a curve ball with the new pantone goe sets. Now I wasn't aware of the 'update' to the systems until looking.

Has anyone had any experience with this new system or is just another way for pantone to try an milk money from us :D

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Way to Goe

The Pantone Goe System adds 2,058 additional colors. Often time with legacy Pantone colors, a match color may fall between hue increments. Also the numbering got awkward when what was originally a three-digit library received new colors squeezed in by providing a forth digit. It's a system that was in need of an overhaul. Goe has much smoother color transitions from chip to chip and consistent numbering. But since existing corporate branding relies on legacy Pantone colors, Goe has to append rather than replace. It will be a while before the industry embraces the new standard.

On the hardware front, Pantone certified inkjet or laser printers include firmware to override CMYK values (actually using L*a*b) to reproduce Pantone colors on specified stock. The costly licensing and calibration is not generally updated for machines in the field (already sold). Therefore only the newest printers or RIP software is able to support Goe. Printers available this year will include Pantone Goe certification. The HP Z3200 is one example. Of course, Goe is still a "go" with offset printing.

As far as Pantone books are concerned. If you do much offset printing, it can be useful but you'll still need the legacy library. You can also look into the Pantone Color Cue 2, which includes multiple Pantone libraries, including legacy, pastel, and Goe.

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
It's up to content creators (i.e. 'us') to push things like Goe through, but of course you need to make sure that the whole chain of production is in tune. If you have a preferred print shop then talk to them to see if they're on board with the system.
I won't be bothering myself for a bit. CMYK commercial printing, which is what most of my work ends up as, cannot match the old Pantone solid hues, so I can't see them successfully matching Goe either.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
The Pantone Goe System adds 2,058 additional colors. Often time with legacy Pantone colors, a match color may fall between hue increments. Also the numbering got awkward when what was originally a three-digit library received new colors squeezed in by providing a forth digit. It's a system that was in need of an overhaul. Goe has much smoother color transitions from chip to chip and consistent numbering. But since existing corporate branding relies on legacy Pantone colors, Goe has to append rather than replace. It will be a while before the industry embraces the new standard.

On the hardware front, Pantone certified inkjet or laser printers include firmware to override CMYK values (actually using L*a*b) to reproduce Pantone colors on specified stock. The costly licensing and calibration is not generally updated for machines in the field (already sold). Therefore only the newest printers or RIP software is able to support Goe. Printers available this year will include Pantone Goe certification. The HP Z3200 is one example. Of course, Goe is still a "go" with offset printing.

As far as Pantone books are concerned. If you do much offset printing, it can be useful but you'll still need the legacy library. You can also look into the Pantone Color Cue 2, which includes multiple Pantone libraries, including legacy, pastel, and Goe.

All good answers you beat me to it. I think the biggest difficulty is getting other designers/printers to start switching to the GOE system. I almost bought a kit to go along with my standard Pantone set but I have yet to run into anyone sending me files/asking for GOE specific colors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.