Paper Books to iBooks

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tritons, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Tritons macrumors 6502

Hi
    I'm still at high school and soon I'll get my hands on my new iPad 2 but I was wondering as I have to read a lot of paper books in school and find specific quotes and sftuff like that it would be cool if I could scan them, make them pfd format and some how read them on iBooks only thing is that if I scan them I will have lot of pfs files and I wont be able to use search in iBooks to find specific quotes. So is it possible to scan paper book, somehow get them in iBooks so I can read them and use search?

Note that all of them is in Latvian language.

And sorry for my bad english.

2. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Your english is better than a lot of people who speak and write it as their native language :p

Just work on your punctuation a little more.

As far as your question goes, probably not. Your probably best off looking for digital publications of your paper books.

3. 0007776 Suspended

Unfortunately not possible. Your only option is to just use the paper books, or find digital copies of the books somewhere.

4. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the thing is that all of them are in Latvian language and non of them are in digital format. I would love if here in Latvia we would have ebooks in latvian or at least I could download english books from iTunes but I cant, only iTunes store that is available in here is AppStore.

5. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

That's too bad... well at least with paper, you can highlight and mark up the pages as you need to in that classic sense. :D

6. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

What about the Kindle app for iPad? They have many more books available. Can you download from them where you are? And yes, your English is fine!

7. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but it would be so great if I could use my iPad instead of old school style :D

Yea I can download Kindle books here, so I probably use Kindle app on iPad.

Thank you :)

8. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

The Scan To PDF app allows you to use your iPad 2 as a scanner and make multipage documents that can be opened in pdf-accepting apps, including iBooks.

9. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

You might be able to use an app like PDF Expert to accomplish what you want. I know that you can import a PDF and search it.

10. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

You can't search the pdfs in ibooks but you can use a program like iAnnotatePDF on your ipad2 and search the pdfs in that program. In many ways it has a heck of a lot more features than does ibooks and makes for a much nicer reader. So you can't achieve what you asked, but you can come pretty darn close.

11. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

But will I be able to search from scaaned books that is in pdf? I mean how will it know that it's text and nothing else?

12. Virgo macrumors 6502a

Virgo

You just need a program with OCR text recognition that can detect the words, and then you can save it as a searchable file. Adobe makes one.

13. sbddude macrumors 6502a

The key is OCR. You need to convert to text, not an image for it to be searchable.

14. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Does that app do OCR?
    It's not mentioned in the app description

15. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

wow, that's awesome so I can scan my books and read and search them on my iPad, awsome.

When I OCR scanned pages of book will I be able to put them in one pfd?

16. info macrumors member

info

Thanks for mentioning this app iSingandiDance, it looks very useful.

17. info macrumors member

info

It implies it, but you are right... it doesn't seem to state that clearly. I hope it does. :D

18. NTeggerdine macrumors member

I recently finished a degree in marketing and advertising and I would search for some of my text books online and actually found a lot of them online. It was random as far as which ones I was able to find but I would say at least 60% were on the Internet in PDF format

19. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

I believe you, but the thing is that it wont be the same with Latvian books.

20. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

No, but the Tablet Scanner HD app does.

Unfortunately, OCR doesn't really help the OP because none of the apps support Latvian.

They can still be scanned, but the seach feature would be missing.

21. Stefx73 macrumors regular

If the files aren't OCR'd, a "picture" based PDF of a book would end up with a huge file size compared with a text-based eBook.