Paper CD Label Stuck in Superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by phantomtrumpet, Jul 9, 2010.

1. phantomtrumpet macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, a couple days ago my superdrive literally sucked the paper label off a homemade mix CD.

The CD itself came out without any problem but the label is still stuck in my superdrive.

This is my first time posting here but I was wondering if anyone had a solution to this problem. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

3. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Lesson learnt I would say, never ever stick those label things in your CD/DVDs they not only screw your drive if they come off, they also mess up the CD/DVDs..

Taking the drive apart would be the only safe way, sticking something into the drive to try and hook it out may well mess up the drive if it is not messed up already.

4. AshMan macrumors regular

Lesson learned. Don use CDs with stick on labels. Especially in a slot loading drive like the mac, most cr stereos and cd changers.

That being said if you can remove the SuperDrive you should be able to open the casing and remove the label

5. phantomtrumpet thread starter macrumors newbie

I would definitely say that I have learned a pretty good lesson here.

Well i have tired to put another CD in the drive but that was failed experiment in itself.

So the best course of option so far would be to remove the drive. I am running a 2007 15 inch black Macbook. Would it be wise to try and do this myself?

6. AshMan macrumors regular

If you are not adept with taking things apart you may not want to risk it. But you should be able to find a guide on ifixit website.

7. miicah macrumors regular

I did this once with a DVD drive in my computer a couple of years ago.. Lesson learned :S

8. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Whether your Mac is covered under warranty or not, it might be a good idea to visit an Apple Store with a Genius Bar appointment. Sometimes they can perform magic to remove stuck items.

If not, you may need a new SuperDrive, which shouldn't cost more than $159 for parts and labor.