Paperless in highschool using ipad>?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MYKOLTON, Jun 2, 2011.

1. MYKOLTON macrumors newbie

MYKOLTON

Hey well i am going to try to go paperless next year in highschool with a ipad. i will put my textbooks on their and use jotnot as a PDF scanner for my homework. I need some suggestions though. Okay well since i wont to go paperless and scan my homework in and do my homework on the ipad but, how should i hand it in to the teacher or send them it in a way where they will not go through a hassle every time they need to mark my homework??????

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Neat idea and maybe the norm in the future. But until your school adopts iPads as part of the curriculum it's going to be more work than pen & paper.

3. MYKOLTON thread starter macrumors newbie

MYKOLTON

the think is some of our teachers have ipads, iphones ext. our school even has ipads for the classes to use so yeah our school has adopted ipads

4. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I am sorry to say that this will probably be a fruitless effort on your part. I have significant doubts that your teachers would appreciate one student submitting assignments via email, while the rest of the class is mandated to submit assignments on regular paper. Further, how will you handle handouts that will probably be given out during class periods?

The iPad can be an incredibly important device to augment your studies, but it seems that you are trying to conduct an experiment that could be detrimental to your studies. I work for an academic department that has officially been paperless for a few years now. While it has reduced the amount of paper we use, both faculty and staff still rely on paper daily.

I would suggest that you devote the time you will spend in trying to go "paperless" in high school to improving your study habits and basic skill sets.

5. MYKOLTON thread starter macrumors newbie

MYKOLTON

well for the second semester of this year i scanned in all my notes and some handouts so that i would not loose them and it could be organized all the time. I just want to figure out a way thats relatively efficient on me and my teachers part.

6. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

If your school is using iPads and teachers have these devices I guess it might be possible to go completely paperless. Any normal high school I would say no. :p

I would just scan the hwk you do by hand and email it to your teachers. They can edit the pdf/word document and email it back. Stuff you do on iPad, you can obviously email.

Good luck with going paperless! Even in college I wouldn't try it. Like I said though, it seems like your teachers might go for it.

7. MYKOLTON thread starter macrumors newbie

MYKOLTON

I hope, ill try half and half and see how it goes. anyways soon lots of schools will probably try go paperless

8. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

How, exactly, do you plan on getting your textbooks on an iPad? A vast majority of collegiate textbooks aren't even available - why do you think highschool books will be?

I'm sorry, but this isn't a practical idea. You're creating much more work for yourself, and a very large amount of additional work for your teachers.

9. goMac macrumors 603

I couldn't use my iPad for textbooks in college because they simply aren't available. Good luck finding them.

10. MYKOLTON thread starter macrumors newbie

MYKOLTON

I have all of next years text books on PDF's my teacher give us the student log in codes so we can get it so yeah

11. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

^^ Yeah, that would have been my main concern. Very lucky!

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Even with textbooks, it's still not practical. Go ahead and try if you want, but it won't last long. There is no feasible solution to turn in assignments that doesn't involve extra work for everyone involved.

What is so flippin' wrong with notebook paper? Jesus, I think we turned out just fine with it. :rolleyes:

13. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Why don't you ask your teachers how they would want the assignments turned in?

14. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You can type assignments on a laptop or the iPad, email it in PDF to his teachers and if his school adopted iPad there are several apps the teachers can use to annotate the PDFs. How is that not practical?

15. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

what is so flippin' wrong with cords? we used phones just fine with them!

16. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

*Sigh*

Kids, don't neglect your handwriting skills…

17. TuffLuffJimmy, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't know what your teachers are like at your school, but I would be highly annoyed by a student bringing an iPad to class. It would only serve as a distraction. Also I wouldn't want to grade an email attachment. It's much easier to annotate an actual paper.

OP, I would take this advice. Study harder, especially since you don't know some basic grammar rules, like when to use their, there, loose, and lose .
    Because annotating papers with a pen is much easier and more practical when that's what all the other papers will be graded with. The OP will just be expecting special treatment from his or her teachers. They would have to remember to grade a paper that isn't with the other students' papers. It would be extremely tedious.

It would be a good idea, OP, to use your iPad to augment your learning, but not completely stop using paper. Perhaps read your textbooks on your iPad, do research with it, and write papers but make sure to print them instead of sending them to your teachers electronically.

18. Skika macrumors 68030

Why not? It seems they are becoming very much less and less important.

Typing on computers is faster, gives more options on undoing & editing, quick sharing.

And not to mention how many people have their own special "handwriting code font" that only they understand :rolleyes:.

I predict writing on papers will be obsolete in the future.

19. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Never taken a math class, have you?

20. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

I would be very wary of this. Using an iPad as digital textbooks is a fine idea, especially because you can mark them up, which you can't really do on schools books. And being able to store files I guess is cool, and if you want you can take notes right on the ipad, although the handwriting recognition isn't spectacular. If you really want to take the time to write on paper and scan, then that's your decision, but a pretty good one. It's time consuming, but will be very easy to organize all of your notes.

If I were in your situation, I would do all of my work on whatever format the teacher sends out. If it's a handout, then just write on that. If you're handing in a paper and the teacher says "please print it out," then print it out. If they're fine with you sending them a word doc, then great for the teacher for modernizing. Commenting on papers on the computer is really easy, as a lot of college profs have already discovered, and HS teachers can do it easily too. But keep it in a word format, not PDF.

I would just have the iPad, and say a 1 inch binder with the paper assignments that I need to keep around, and as soon as I'm done with them, remove them from the binder to keep from getting heavy. That's just what I'd do.

21. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Never been in a math class with students who turned in homework typeset in LaTeX, have you?

Though to be fair, I don't think there any fully-featured LaTeX apps for iOS yet, due to that annoying running arbitrary code restriction thing. Would work fine on a laptop, though.

22. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Eh? To be honest, I don't know about high school anymore, but all of the college professors I know take PDFs, never Word documents. Though to be safe, I'd ask the teacher.

23. Theteapartyvip macrumors newbie

Seems like a good idea

I have severe back problems from the amount of books I had in High school (no lockers). Most of my assignments were sent in by email because nobody would finish them till 11-12pm at night. Of course there is always that one teacher that needs the homework done by hand and hates technology but most teachers I had were grateful to not have to lug around our assignments and homework to mark.
    Most schools are slowly integrating technology more and more and in university having an ipad/laptop to do your work on is a much better idea. Although I do have to agree with some of the earlier replies that it is very distracting, and I know at my school we weren't allowed "portable technologies" in the classroom. But good luck with it!

24. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I'm a math major. I know what LaTeX is. I also know that it's not used in high school for Algebra. :rolleyes:

That's not a practical solution for daily homework assignments where showing work is required.

25. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Once tablets get pressure sensitive capacitive, precision screens (any day now), they can replace notepads/sketch pads/napkins with ease. Everyone will need one though. You'll need to bump that sketch you just did for a friend to HIS napkin app, as although we still use real napkins no one carries a pen/pencil anymore. It's that one guy who refuses to figure out his email who will require a printout (until he retires).