PaperPad: Take notes in handwriting, edit PDF and JPEG files.

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Engin Kurutepe, May 13, 2010.

1. Engin Kurutepe macrumors newbie

Dear MacRumors users,

PaperPad has become available in the AppStore today.

With PaperPad you can take notes on an empty page or annotate PDF documents and JPEG images. And email your edited papers as PDF files.

This is a great feature if you regularly need to review images and documents and send them to colleagues or students or your boss.

There are two ways to import files into the app.

- Connect iPad with iTunes. Select your iPad from the devices list. Go to the Apps tab. There towards the bottom of the page you should see a list of apps which can share files between your computer and iPad. PaperPad is in that list.

- This only applies for multi-page PDF files received through Email. In the Mail app on your iPad, tap on the PDF attachment icon and hold for approx. 2 seconds. A pop-over appears asking you what you want to do with the file.

For more information please check out:
    http://www.fifteenjugglers.com/products/paperpad

2. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Looks interesting. No lite version for trying out?

3. Engin Kurutepe thread starter macrumors newbie

The Lite version is in the works. Should be available in a few days (or weeks, depending on how fast it gets through the review process)

but before the lite version comes out, first 25 macrumors users to send me an email, get a code:
    engin [that curly sign] fifteenjugglers.com

4. Engin Kurutepe thread starter macrumors newbie

PaperPad v1.0.1 just got available. Now supporting access to your photo library and renaming papers on the iPad. Some bug fixes as well. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paperpad/

v1.0.2 is almost ready with lots of new stuff.

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Here is my review:

Paperpad is very good at what it does. It's a powerful annotating app that also lets you take handwritten notes. It's like getting multiple apps in one since you can annotate pdf's, take handwritten notes, and markup photos.

For the price you get the best bang for the buck in it's class in the app store. More features were just added to make this even better.

6. brulafu macrumors member

PM sent.

This is the sort of thing I've been looking for work purposes....however...I'm in the UK and its not in the UK store. Is this something you will be expanding to ?

Cheers

Bruce

7. caubeck macrumors 6502

I like this app more than iAnnotate because it's cleaner and simpler (many will prefer more functionality to easiness on the eye, of course). However, when I have tried to open a PDF from Good Reader to PaperPad, the latter either crashes or the PDF is not centered properly. I need to turn the iPad horizontally and then vertically again to set it right, and even then it doesn't behave as I think it should. Known bugs?

8. Engin Kurutepe thread starter macrumors newbie

This is news to me. I am resident in Germany and PaperPad is in the usual german store here. It should be in the UK store as well. I, at least, have not limited PaperPad's availability. I will check nevertheless. Thanks for the heads-up. (The promotional codes, unfortunately, only work for the US Store. This is a known limitation)

9. Engin Kurutepe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the bug report. I have not tested PaperPad with Good Reader yet. I will check this and fix it as necessary.

10. Engin Kurutepe thread starter macrumors newbie

PaperPad 1.1 and PaperPad Lite available

Hi,

I would like to announce that PaperPad 1.1 and corresponding PaperPad Lite have just become available in the AppStore.

v1.1 is more than just a bug fix release and contains the following improvements:
    - Improved user interface. Now it's very clear how to delete a 'Paper'
    - Ability to open any image from your Photo Library
    - Shake to clear a page
    - A great new icon. Looks like a gem.
    - Fix to the crash-when-emailing-large-files-bug. Now PaperPad offers you to send only the changed pages if it decides that a big file might cause a crash.

Download PaperPad

Download PaperPad Lite

PS. I'm working on my own PDF engine, which will solve the emailing-large-files-bug and the reduced-resolution-of-the-background-PDF-limitation once for all. Both bugs are caused by the memory intensive and inefficient way Apple's Quartz2D handles rendering existing PDF data into a new PDF. PaperPad 1.2 with the new efficient PDF engine should be ready in a few weeks.

11. caubeck macrumors 6502

I like this app. The only problem I have is in making notes on images. The image takes up the whole screen, so I can't write in any white space. It would be nice to have the kind of text boxes you can add in PhotoForge.

12. Engin Kurutepe thread starter macrumors newbie

caubeck,
    you can always add a new page just for notes using the '+' button. however post-it type annotations are in the works and planned for the next major release.

there is a big update almost ready. I wrote my own PDF parser/generator, optimized for the specific tasks featured in PaperPad. This should solve many memory related crashes caused by the inefficient Quartz PDF engine and replace reduced resolution of the background PDF pages with real high resolution beautiful PDF data.

However, before I can release this update, I need to test it on as many PDF files as possible to make sure it doesn't break anything.

So for those of you who are interested in getting free access to the latest version as beta testers, please email me your device ID. [ engin {that curly sign} fifteenjugglers.com ] So that I can create a build for you ipad.

how to find your device ID is left as an exercise for more experienced users. please send me your device ID only if you are willing and able to provide me feedback and information about the crashes, that are likely to occur. In return, in addition to the good feeling of helping a fellow iphone/ipad fan, you'll get to download of all of my current and future apps for free

13. Engin Kurutepe thread starter macrumors newbie

PaperPad 1.2 in AppStore

The new and vastly improved new version is now available for your download pleasure. Contains the following:

- Brand new PDF engine: PDF’s at their maximum sharpness both on screen and in your emails!
    - Much smoother and more responsive user interface.
    - Improved drawing performance.
    - No need to synchronize with iTunes to delete unwanted files.
    - Lot’s of small fixes and improvements...

Honestly, this is the PaperPad, as it should have been in the first place.

I have ten promo codes. First come, first served!

Cheers,
    E.

14. Corsair.Noir macrumors member

Corsair.Noir

any promo codes available? I'd like to give it a go

15. fishbizbob macrumors newbie

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

17. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I'd love a promo code as well, if there are any left. Sounds like a great app!

18. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

19. paleodave macrumors newbie

If any promo codes are left, I'd also appreciate one! Thanks.

20. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Put me in for a promo code too.

But if you are really looking for a great piece of software please add:

Recording function
    Syncing over the cloud, securely,
    And password lock with encryption.

21. eddy64 macrumors regular

If you pm/email me a promo code, I'd be gad to post a review :)

22. Engin Kurutepe thread starter macrumors newbie

Promo codes all gone...

Thanks for your interest guys. All codes are gone now. If you want to try before you buy, the same update is also coming to the lite version in a couple of days.

Cheers!