Papers required for Warranty?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by happles, Aug 30, 2009.

1. happles macrumors newbie

Do I need any papers when my macbook pro 17 brakes and I want to fix it?

I mean, I'm still during the normal warranty period (not the extended one, which I haven't yet bought), but I just noticed I don't have any papers around that would confirm the warranty, the date when I bought my macbook, etc.

What is the procedure? What do I do if my mac brakes down and I want to fix it? Who do I call, where do I go, and do I need any proof that the mac belongs to me and my warranty hasn't expired yet?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Serial number tells Apple do you have warranty or not. Date of purchase and receipt is also good to have.

3. daflake macrumors 6502a

It starts the day that you bought it and if you registered, it is in their computers. If you purchase Applecare and activate it, their records are also updated. There is no need to show any paperwork.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

If the OP bought it from a third party he will likely need the sales receipt. Even if he registered it. Nothing saying he didn't buy it a year earlier then the registered date if there is no proof...

5. happles thread starter macrumors newbie

1) someone else bought it from the US apple.com , and then gave it to me. So I don't need any papers?
    2) I don't have applecare.
    3) I haven't yet registered it (because I'm gonna change my address soon); but it says in the Reg app that the warranty will not be affected by the registration. So I don't see how it is relevant?

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

If the first person bought it from :apple:.com than that is the date when the warranty starts, not when you got it or register it. Your moving has nothing to do with it either so you might as well get it registered. The warranty goes by the serial number not when it's registered but if that serial is not registered through :apple: than there could be a problem, that is when you would need paper work. Go to there site and check your serial number and you will find out when the warranty started and also know when you can purchase :apple: care as you have 1 year from the date of the first sale...

7. happles thread starter macrumors newbie

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Use this link to check the warranty status of the computer and its eligibility for AppleCare. To clarify, the materials you read indicate that the computer registration and the name on the AppleCare agreement do not have to match. This means that a friend or relative of yours could bring the unit in to have it fixed in a store or repair center as long as the serial number checks out.

9. happles thread starter macrumors newbie

cool, thanks.

One more question -- how do I find out where I have to take it if it breaks down? should I just call apple and ask?

10. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

I would love to get some clarity on this issue since I bought my Macbook Pro 13" off Ebay, and therefore all I have is an Ebay invoice. The machine was brand new/sealed and since its the mid-June 2009 model its obvious that I didn't buy it a year before registering.

At this stage I'm starting to feel like Apple could pull the rug on me at any point, I mean is it even worth buying Applecare if they could refuse a service without a receipt from an Apple Store or recognised third Party reseller?????

11. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Check your serial # with the link Jedi Meister gave in an earlier message. That will tell you if :apple: registered it as a sale before. If it don't show up and if your third party seller is just a regular e-bay guy you could be out of luck. You see if that is the case the computer might be stolen and no one really knows. If your e-bay guy is an :apple: registered seller ask him for the info you need. You can't buy :apple: care if :apple: won't let you register it.

12. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

When I enter the serial number I get an expiry date of August 6th 2010 (I purchased it in July). So basically Apple are using an estimated date for the expiry of warranty (probably date of manufacture + 6 weeks). Does this tell me that I'm screwed :eek: and more to the point, is it safe to buy an Apple product from anyone but Apple themselves???

13. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

You're fine.

14. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

It doesn't matter when you bought the computer because as far as :apple:is concerned you bought it used. Aug.6 is when the ebayer that sold it to you bought it and that is when the warranty starts. You have up until Aug.5/10 to buy Apple Care. If you are concerned that you will have problems when you buy Apple Care, buy it now so you can straighten it out. I don't see any problems. As far as just buying from Apple, no you don't have to but when you something new from ebay, ask questions. If it's new why are you selling it? Is it registered with :apple: . Can you have the serial number to check the product out? Get the idea...

15. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple