Papyrus Font + MS Word + Mac OS X 10.5 + HP Laserjet problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by guzhogi, May 22, 2009.

1. guzhogi macrumors 68020

guzhogi

I have a few HP Laserjet 3800n's at work. We use Macs running Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.6) and whenever we use the Papyrus font in Microsoft Word, the laserjets get an error 49.4C02. On Macs running 10.4, the file prints fine. Any ideas?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

• Is this on all Macs running MacOS X 10.5.6?
    • Any reason that you have not updated to MacOS X 10.5.7?
    • What happens when you print Papyrus-containing documents from other applications?
    • Which version of Word are you running?
    • Are you running the latest driver for your printer?

3. guzhogi thread starter macrumors 68020

guzhogi

This happens on all Macs running 10.5.X. Happens on 10.5.6, 7, everything. We haven't upgraded yet because these are work computers & want to test 10.5.7 on a select few & determine if there are any major problems. Our PPC Macs all run 10.4.11, and they print fine.

We use MS Word 2004, & happens to all subversions (11.4.x & 11.5.x). And yes, we have the latest drivers & firmware.

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Quick solution: use another font instead of papyrus. This will 1) solve your problem and 2) make whatever you print much more pretty.

I'm sorry I have no other ideas. What font management software are you using? And like MisterMe wrote, what happens if you print from TextEdit using papyrus?

5. guzhogi thread starter macrumors 68020

guzhogi

This happens in ever app, not just Word.

As for font management, we don't really use any. Basically, the mentality where I work is "if the font doesn't work, use another one." Which is fine. No one is wedded to Papyrus, but some people would like to use it.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

True on both counts.

OP should watch this video. Something about comic sans and papyrus.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzmrxKhaKRU

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It sounds like your copies of the Papyrus are corrupt. Corrupt fonts are among the true [as opposed to imaginary] sources of problems on the Mac. You may try to repair them using Font Book on each machine. In fact, you should validate all of your active fonts. If repairing your fonts doesn't fix the problem, then disable and remove your offending fonts.