Paragon NTFS for MAC vs HFS for Windows?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sneak3, Aug 7, 2014.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502a

Hey fellas!

Which of these 2 would you say it makes more sense to have in a bootcamp environment with a drive exclusively for data storage:

NTFS for MAC or HFS for Windows?

My setup is drive 1 for both OSs, MAC and WINDOWS, and drive 2 would be then formatted in HFS or NTFS, for putting files and data which I'd use CONSTANTLY to share between the 2 OSs.

What do you think?

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I had a good experience with HFS for Windows by Paragon. ExFAT formatted through Windows works fine too. As a free workaround (never tried though) is creating a Ext2/Ext3 or any Linux filesystem and then using Cygwin on the Windows side and Macports on the Mac side to install filesystem drivers.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're using the shared drive for data only, I'd lean toward Paragon NTFS for Mac or possibly exFAT.

4. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot guys!

At first, really, it seems to me NTFS for Mac or exFat are more straight forward.

However, doing some research regarding how well OSX handles exFat, it seems lots of people report corruption and crashes when using exFat.

I'm not sure if that has been address in Mavericks but I'm on Mountain Lion for now. I really wanted to use exFat, makes things super easy but I'll be storing work files, important files and I can't stand having a drive crashing occasionally.

You guys have any opinion on that? Maybe it was a physical drive incompatibility rather than exFat itself? Maybe apple released some fixes? Anything?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've heard some of the same things about exFAT, although many report no such problems with it, so I'm not confident enough to trust my most valuable data to exFAT. I prefer Paragon NTFS for Mac, if I'm not using HFS+. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have another backup of your data on a HFS+ drive.

6. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

ExFAT partition and formatting must be done on Windows if I remember well. The cluster size must be of 2 or 4KB (don't remember). If you do it the wrong way, you can mess your files. I'd really try an open filesystem like Ext2 or Ext3 if I wanted a free solution. The impression is that ExFAT is not truly open and standardized.

With an open filesystem, you can use even the same build on both operating systems. It seems safer to me, but requires additional work to set everything up.