Paragon NTFS for OS X - can you search NTFS partitions?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mustgroove, May 7, 2008.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

Quick question from a prospective Paragon customer... Neither the OS X NTFS driver nor ntfs-3g allow searching of NTFS partitions (i.e. searching a partition using the search pane in the top right hand corner of Finder windows)...

Searching HFS and FAT32 partitions is cool, but searching NTFS partitions just won't work...

Is searching possible with the Paragon driver?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

That's the Spotlight window; it indexes the HFS-formatted drives, and as such, doesn't care what utilities are in place to allow you to write to an NTFS volume.

Remember, you have always been able to read NTFS from the Mac without any special tools, and Spotlight couldn't see them. All Paragon adds is write capability.

3. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

OK cool thanks... it's a shame that someone hasn't made a driver that allows Spotlight to search NTFS partitions too :(

4. harshchotu macrumors newbie

You need to put quotes around arguments with embedded spaces, e.g.

mdutil -I on "/Volumes/WD SmartWare"

do this, and then whatever files you add AFTER the command will be searchable.

(just move the files from the drive and back to it to get search ability on older file).

I am using paragon , and it works for me.

5. octavepara macrumors newbie

I have the same problem,
    @harshchotu: Sorry but I'm new to mac. Can you explain to me please how and where I have to make those modifications?
    thanks