Paragon NTFS reader is a POS.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ancilla, Jul 4, 2012.

1. ancilla macrumors member

Seriously.

Installed the trial 'cause I need something to read my NTFS-formatted external hard drive. Moved some files around and seemed ok initially. But then moved an important file, got some ridiculous sounding error, and basically it nuked the original file while also failing to move it to the new directory.

So warning to those who are in the same situation. Backup, backup, backup, and avoid Paragon.

:mad::mad:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any extra software to read NTFS, as Mac OS X does this natively. It just doesn't write natively.
    Paragon is quite stable and has been used by countless Mac users successfully for years. Just because you happen to have particular problems on your computer doesn't mean that Paragon is to blame. Rather than rant, why not do some basic troubleshooting to find the real source of your problem?

And yes, backups are always recommended.

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

3. ancilla thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, should have said "write NTFS" partitition. Mac reads the partition natively without a problem.

While some may have had success with Paragon, when it comes to mission-critical functionality (not randomly deleting important data), this kind of failure is beyond unacceptable.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You still haven't established for certain that Paragon is the source of your problem.

5. ancilla thread starter macrumors member

3 day old Macbook Air.

External HD that has always worked perfectly.

New install of Paragon.

Paragon threw the error message, not Mac OS itself.

File is now gone.

User error? I did a simple drag and drop from one directory to another using Finder...pretty simple stuff.

So I'm inclined to blame Paragon, and not, say, the tooth fairy :mad:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What was the error message? It's usually a good idea to read them, as they help a lot in troubleshooting.

7. tomllama macrumors regular

I've used Tuxera NTFS for years and never had a problem. I believe I started with Leopard, then SL, and now Lion and Lion Server. It runs on my 64 bit mode Mac Pro and in 32 bit mode on the older MBP.