Paragon or NTFS-3G??!! Help me Find a Solution!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Adubg, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Adubg macrumors newbie

Alright guys, after a long multiple hours search using mroogle and google, I cant come to a conclusion on what NTFS file system driver to use.

Let me tell you what i'm looking for:

A driver that uses the least amount of resources while not compromising performance and file system structure.

Multiple people have sung their praises for Paragon 8.0, however what are the compatibility issues with 10.6.4? Or are there any?

Is Paragon 8.0 compatible and worth my money to go back and forth from windows for music and video files on NTFS? or is there a better file system that is effectively more efficient on both OS? Or is NTFS-3G/Tuxera a better alternative.

I checked out mac-update as well to read some reviews on there but they are inconclusive and misleading. I would like someone with an educated opinion/experience to hopefully clarify this software battle for me and everyone else. (also try to compare newest software):D

2. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

I too would like an informed answer from an informed, experienced user.

Paragon or Tuxera/NTFS-3G?

Which performs write functions better, which is more stable?
    Any real experience is helpful.

Also, so the OP knows (and you probably do), NTFS-3G is freeware, with cached writing enabled through some random plug-in in the installation process. Tuxera is the "improved" version of that, which supposedly has better caching processes.

Any thoughts guys?

3. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I personally havent tried any of the solutions mentioned but i know of a freeware utility that does a good job of enabling write access to a ntfs disk. Its called SL-Ntfs and you can download it from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/33603/sl-ntfs

4. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

SL-NTFS just enables the built in (and unsupported) NTFS writing included in SL, right?

Is is stable and reliable? Does it have caching?

5. Adubg thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately that SL software is unstable and can cause errors, I think that may be the reason Apple decided not to include NTFS write capability.

The two main choices, like i said earlier are Paragon 8.0 and NTFS-3G/Tuxera.

6. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Both NTFS-3G and SL-Ntfs use Snow Leopard's built in NTFS write support. Apple has decided to not enable the feature because its still unstable and the whole legal aspect of it.

Another option would be to format the drive in HFS+ and use macdrive on windows to have write access to the drive.

I do that and it works great with my external drive.

7. Adubg thread starter macrumors newbie

That is a good point, but unfortunately some of us are not able to use hfs.

That is why we have only a few options on software.