Parallel 4.0 gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by liger83, Nov 15, 2008.

1. liger83 macrumors newbie

I am kinda new to this parallel... and to this forum lol

hmm i was wondering if Fifa 2009 would run using parallels on my macbook.

i have new macbook so graphics shouldn't be a problem..

before i had parellel 3.0 and i was able to run it.. but slow

with low graphics setting.. has anyone tried gaming using parallel?

not bootcamp.... i heard bootcamp you are able to play..

i do not want to switch back and forth to do that...

Thanks in advance ^^

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Boot Camp is much better suited for gaming. Parallels 4.0 might do it, but will not be a whole lot better than 3.0.

3. noonereally macrumors newbie

Good question though... I'm eagerly awaiting benchmarks of vmware 2 vs parallels 4.0 to substantiate that "50% speed improvement" claim.

4. casw1000 macrumors member

I have run the trial of Desktop 4.0 last night with a view of using my 8800GTfor GPU folding under windows. I do think that Parallels 4 has grown up quite a lot, however the video settings / drivers are their own, meaning that you can only allocate up to 256mb of video memory.

The memory / cpu capabilities are much improved and this is good news. I also found the Desktop 4 to be much more responsive. Ok so I am running it on my MacPro 8 core job, but even so, this a good step up.

However, I am not sure I am willing to splash out until I know if I can get my nv gpu to be seen correctly and address all 512mb for games and folding.

-casw1000
    fold4life.com

5. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Parallels 4.0 license

I installed over the weekend. The installation/upgrade demands you enter the original key from way back when I installed Parallels 2.5 - This really irked me as I thought it would be a quick upgrade and I ended up doing work to find out what the 2.5 key was.

After the hassle of getting the thing activated, the windows VM needed to be update with new drivers and "reformatted" - whatever that means. It took a long time for the process to complete and there were several glitches and restarts. The KB for parallels said to ignore any windows errors and when I did ignore the windows activation dialog, the conversion could not complete. When I ignored the tech bulletin from Parallels and I re-activated the windows VM before trying to "re-format" again... it worked.

The end result is that it is much snappier even on my core duo MBP. I use my VM for work, so I am forced to keep the thing up to date. My take is that parallels does an update whenever they need more cash. Yeah, it is a little faster but the benefits are dubious at this stage in the game.

6. united002 macrumors newbie

Ive got parallels 3.0 and was supposed to be entitled to the "free" upgrade because of when i bought it. anyone know how you get it???

7. gozu macrumors newbie

Hey guys, im thinking of doing some comparison benchmarks between Parallel's 4.0, vmwarefusion 2 and Boot Camp. :)

Ill post you a link once im done.

8. gozu macrumors newbie

benchmarks

http://www.psychedelic.co.nz/virtualise.html

Guys here are the results from the benchmarks i was doing.
    a couple of points ill make about this.

Parallels took agggeeees to boot into my VM, i don't know why, and to be honest it was painful.

If you plan on gaming, just don't bother in a VM, just use boot camp. Both Parallels and VMWare now support DX9 and stuff, but it is buggy and painfully slow.

9. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I get 30-90 FPS playing TF2 in Fusion 2 and Parallels 4. So nay sayers, there! :p

10. gozu macrumors newbie

TF2 uses bugger all texture memory, that would be why! :p