Parallel 5 is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lindseyquads, Mar 18, 2010.

1. lindseyquads macrumors newbie

K.... Another question. I got the program parallel 5 with my iMac and I as wondering what the advantages or disadvantages to running windows. I do have Windows 7 OS. But I don't really have any programs for windows that I have to have that Mac OSx won't do. So I guess is it worth it?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. DrStrange macrumors member

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use VMware personally, but if there is no compelling reason to run Windows, there is no reason to bother with it

5. lindseyquads thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks....That's kinda what I was thinking. I wont bother with it at this point.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you need to find Mac equivalents for certain things, don't hesitate to ask
    If there is something in Windows you are used to, there is probably a Mac application of some kind

7. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

P > V

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Personal preference
    Anyone trying to decide should download the trials of both and make their own choice

In general...
    Many will say Parallels is faster
    But that VMware Fusion is more stable and feature rich

Your mileage may vary

9. sean.jost macrumors newbie

I used VMWare Fusion 3 for three months but got frustrated with the laggy/buggy behavior so I switched to Parallels Desktop 5 and it has been a MUCH better experience for me. It's not without bugs but they are not nearly as serious as what I encountered with VMWare. The biggest difference was MUCH better performance.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And others will give the same testimony with Parallels and Fusion reversed
    It is what works for you... and there is a choice

11. Scippy macrumors regular

Too true. Hence the reason for two different apps.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yeah you can search for them on macupdate or versiontracker.

13. wheelhot macrumors 68020

I recently have always been a Fusion fan until I saw on Engadget that Parallels kicked Fusion ass with their version 5. I was hesitant to try it out and boy I'm glad I tried it out cause I am loving Parallels, it feels and work faster and their crystal mode works. I love being able to use expose and such, even the minimize is like OSX minimize. Makes me feel like I'm working on a Mac actually, except with windows taskbar (Parallels has a MacTheme but I still prefer the original windows look) :eek:

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

and varied it has. i donno what it is, but whenever i run VMware it runs like a dog. ?

same situation with me. i started out using parallels 3, then parallels 4, then tried vmware and found it to be a horrible experience.

i have no idea what it is, maybe my configuration of computers or something - but parallels 5 works for me. i use OSX server and remote into it from anywhere. its on 24/7 and has 1GB RAM. it has currently been on for 8 days with no issues (was on for about a month before that).

i also have up to 3 other VMs open at once doing odd jobs. if i were to do this with VMware, it wouldnt run nicely for me :(

people dont understand the recommendation that we give for VM software. the users want an answer. either parallels, or vmware. but yea its a difficult situation, the user really does need to find out for themselves!

15. lindseyquads thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to say thanks again to everybody who has responded. I am new to Mac and this forum has been great help making the transition from PC to Mac an easier experience.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no problems lindsey :D

if you need anymore help just hit us up