Parallel Desktop 5: x86 or x64?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by -mattias-, Jun 18, 2010.

1. -mattias- macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I wanna install Windows 7 Ultimate with Parallel Desktop 5, but I have some problems. I don't know if I should install it as x86 or x64 or 32-bit or 64-bit?

And also, how many GB ram should I be using for Parallels? I have the basic MBP 13" early 2010.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What are you planning to do in your VM?

In general I would suggest 32 bit and 2GB of RAM, if you are doing a dedicated VM install (i.e. not sharing with Boot Camp) but if something you need to do requires 64 bit or has other special requirements the answer might be different.

B

3. -mattias- thread starter macrumors member

I wanna use it for some Poker application. Maybe gaming Counter Strike or something like that (would it be able to run smooth)?

Also, is there any problems using Office to Windows instead of the Office for Mac? I like the Windows version better, but maybe there was some downsides using it in parallels?

What about viruses? If my Windows on Parallel Desktop get infected, what happens to my Mac?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Poker and office should be fine on 32 bit in a VM, CS not so much. Wait for the native mac version to hit steam real soon now.

Install AV like MSE in your VM and don't worry about it.

B