Parallel (LPT) to USB adapter for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mindflux, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

My gf has a parallel port printing Brother Laserjet printer that I know she is not going to want to give up. Does anyone have suggestions for a LPT->USB Adapter cable that works with OS X?

2. Queso macrumors G4

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think you can get any LPT to USB converter, but the real issue is whether there are OS X drivers for that printer. I'd say get a new printer, but then again, I'm a billionaire :D

4. Queso macrumors G4

I'm sure that even if the drivers aren't included in default OSX they'll be included in the free Gutenprint bundle. The downloadable DMG also contains instructions on how to set it up. No harder than a standard USB printer.

5. Mindflux thread starter macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Wouldn't OS X also need drivers for that LPT TO USB converter as well?

6. Queso macrumors G4

Yep, but Keyspan have them posted here on their website. Be aware that they haven't fully tested them with Leopard yet.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not necessarily. It depends on the model. Additional drivers may be found on The Linux Foundation's website. Luckily for the OP, Brother is one of the few manufacturers that support CUPS. Therefore, he should also check Brother's website.

8. Mindflux thread starter macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Well lucky me. Turns out her printer has both usb and parallel. No adapter needed!