Parallel or Fusion for Win7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yomnym, Oct 28, 2009.

1. yomnym macrumors 6502

yomnym

I tried searching around and there are many threads regarding parallel vs fusion but my question is if either or both could run Win 7 64 bit. I read that Parallel is somewhat faster than fusion. Can you guys just give me your experiences and opinions with the apps? Thanks

2. jck1634 macrumors regular

jck1634

I've heard a lot of great things about Parallels for Mac but I just upgraded my copy of Fusion 2 to version 3, installed Win7 and lo and behold it's runs faster and smoother than Vista ever ran on Fusion 2. the Aero elements which require 3d enabled work really well. They didn’t work before and if I'm not mistaken, Fusion 3 is the only software that has the Aero stuff working.

Installing Win7 from a disc was super easy and I was up and running in about an hour (Taking into account windows having to install all it's security update)

I personally recommend Fusion 3.

3. yomnym thread starter macrumors 6502

yomnym

do you know if you can by any chance run 64 bit Win 7

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

if youve got a 64bit capable mac and your virtual machine supports it.... then yes.

5. jck1634 macrumors regular

jck1634

Yup my copy of Win 7 is running in 64bit

6. yomnym thread starter macrumors 6502

yomnym

Quick question, i removed Fusion but there's a double headed arrow on the top menu bar by the time and batter, cant seem to remove it. You guys have any ideas on how to take it out, i restarted the system and also tried to command+drag out of the bar, no luck.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You mean this double headed arrow? That's Bluetooth. You can remove that icon by going into Sys Prefs > Bluetooth > Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar and un check that. I don't know why you wouldn't want it, it's the software equivalent of the Bluetooth toggle switch on PC laptops. You can turn on/off Bluetooth and connect devices and send/receive files from Bluetooth devices from that little menu.

Attached Files:

8. SkillsToShow macrumors regular

That not it, when you install vmware 3 there is a new icon on the bar that you cannot remove unless you uninstall vmware.

9. yomnym thread starter macrumors 6502

yomnym

Yes the double headed arrow is more like to open or start Fusion, or go to certain places in the Guest OS. I was able to remove it by selecting the Uninstall option on the downloaded fusion dmg, where you choose to install there's also an uninstall option, that removes all. Thanks for your replies.

Im having some difficulties choosing between the two, Parallel doesn't have the 3D capabilities that Fusion has, like the Aero theme. Then again Fusion seems to be running kinda slow with 1GB dedicated ram. Maybe when i upgrade my machine to 4GB i could run Fusion with more easy. Tomorrow i will install parallel trial again and run it and see if it runs smoother. Parallel has been proven to run faster.