Parallels 10 and Yosemite making me cry

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kentuckienne, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Kentuckienne macrumors regular

Kentuckienne

Upgraded to Yosemite, dealing with assorted bugs. BUT. Need to use my Windows Office programs, Photoshop, things too expensive to re-buy for Mac. Had tried Parallels 9 and migration from old Windoze machine but always crashy. Turns out the OEM Windows on that machine not authorized for install on another machine. So when OWC had a deal ... Parallels 10, required for Yosemite, budled with Windows 8.1 ... I thought, start fresh, start clean.

Installed Parallels as Admin, since it gave me an option to share the program with other users. Funny, it didn't ask me for an install location ... I'll go ahead and let it use the suggested shared folder. Install Windows. Done. Install Office. Done. Log off and log on as different user. No new Parallels, just the same old crashy Version 9. Go check Parallels support site to find a detailed description of the problem along with a list of terminal commands to run, files to move, permissions to change.

I spent so long with Parallels support with version 9, because I wanted to install my Windows VM on a separate drive to save space on the SSD where Parallels went. Didn't try to get fancy this time because I needed Word in a hurry. I'm so frustrated. Hate the thought of trying to bludgeon the software into usability. Hate having to go through all the BS with Parallels support to make the software do what it says it will do. Can anyone point me in a sane direction? Is there a known, simple way to install Parallels 10, Win 8.1, on Yosemite so that all users of the computer can run Windows programs?

It would be nice to create the VM on a second drive that has tons of space instead of the smaller SSD. Hoping to find someone with the Yosemite Fu to show a humble acolyte the way...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Have you looked at the idea of using Vmware Fusion or VirtualBox. The latter is free, but I don't believe you'll enjoy the same level of features or performance.

I like Vmware myself, its a stable product that has been working well for me in Yosemite and windows 8. I use Vmware for Office mostly because MS Office for windows is light years ahead of Mac Office.

3. Kentuckienne thread starter macrumors regular

Kentuckienne

I do like VMWare, used it all the time in a past life. For some reason I had the impression that Parallels was best for the Mac, so I bought it and now I'm sorry. I'm on a severe financial budget, and it would be best for me to figure out how to make Parallels work if I can. I'm going to try it, anyway ..

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd try going with simple first.
    Make sure you're running the latest version of Parallels.
    Start with a fresh copy of windows, don't use the migration tool and install the VM on your SSD. Even if its a tight fit, start there, make sure everything is working as you expect it, then move the VM to an external disk.

5. Kentuckienne thread starter macrumors regular

Kentuckienne

Thanks! I love simple. I have made some progress:

I did install on the SSD with a fresh copy of Windows. Installed as Administrator, said to share. Now I'm stomping on the problems.

1. Was able to add the VM from my personal Mac account and run Word, save a file to a shared folder. Good.

2. Was able to log on from another Mac account and start the VM, open that same file. Good.

3. Was able to add a couple of printers manually, though the settings were to add them automatically.

4. When I go back to my personal Mac account again, can't access the VM. It can't seem to get to it if it's already running: I get error messages, then "no OS installed message"

I will go through and finish debugging the current install and then worry about moving it ... I haven't got Parallels support to recognize yet that this is a new product and give me an unexpired support code, even though it's activated and registered ...

But there is some emergency functionality and the day can proceed

6. Thunderboltedge macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

Hi maflynn,
    When it comes to this kind of product everybody almost suggests parallels as the MUST-have app you need to have to run windows on PC.
    Since I am quite new to mac but I was thinking to find the way to install the proper excel and ppt version on the mac to have it usable as I normally do at work, which is the solution in this case?
    In terms of price I saw there is a slight difference between mware and parallels (59 vs 79).
    For both I would need a key of and existing mac (can I use the one of an actual pc running windows 8?)
    Do we have any section in the forum to guide you step by step how to do it?
    thanks

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not quite sure what you're asking but I prefer Vmware, others prefer parallels. Many people do use parallels and are quite happy with it - its all personal preference.

As for MS Office - it will be installed like any other windows app, once you have Vmware (or parallels) installed, you then install your copy of windows, once up and running you install MS Office like any other PC. For both Windows and Office, you need to use properly licensed versions, i.e., have the product keys and activations available to install on virtualized environment.