Parallels 10 vs. Parallels 12

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jakofharts7, Dec 7, 2016.

1. jakofharts7 macrumors newbie

I have a Late 2012 iMac with a 3TB Fusion Drive and have had numerous issues trying to install Boot Camp, so I have been using Parallels 10 for my Windows gaming (Windows 7). I am considering upgrading to Parallels 12 and would like to know if there is any noticeable improvement in gaming performance between the two. I don't really have much need of the new/additional features, and am making my upgrade decision based on gaming performance. Any insight from anyone who has used both would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. jakofharts7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone upgrade directly from 10 to 12 and could provide any insight?

3. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

AFAIK both Parallels and Fusion only support DirectX 10 in even their latest versions. I believe Parallels 10 already supports the same. Unfortunately, there are now games in the wild that need DirectX 11 or even 12. Neither Vmware nor Parallels have anything to say on the matter. o_O

4. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

I can't say anything about the performance but before Parallels allowed activation on more than one Mac. Now they lock the activation to the UUID of the Mac and effectively enforce their one Licence per seat EULA.

No big deal if you don't have more than one Mac, but in my case with 3 Macs, it is a problem.