Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Anybody out there running Parallels 10, if so what are your thoughts on it ?

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Garbage. Parallels crashed when attempting to run non-demanding applications through a Windows 8.1 VM. Every subsequent attempt to restart the VM would crash Parallels again during the startup process. Parallels support is beyond useless.

Switched to VMWare Fusion 7 and all has been right with the world.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Garbage. Parallels crashed when attempting to run non-demanding applications through a Windows 8.1 VM. Every subsequent attempt to restart the VM would crash Parallels again during the startup process. Parallels support is beyond useless.

Switched to VMWare Fusion 7 and all has been right with the world.

If I was to try VMWare Fusion 7 how could I move over the games etc I have installed under Win 7 in Parallels ? Just so to save re installing it all.

Last edited:

NJFP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Been using the free trial for a couple of days now. I need Windows for two applications and they're not processor demanding. One is for a Windows web based program from work and one is for the tuning software for my motorcycle's adjustable computer. Took me a couple of minutes to figure it out, but it's working just fine for my needs. BTW, I'm using Windows Vista.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Love Parallels 10. Solid product, runs Windows great. Integration with Mac files is fully customizable from fully integrated to none. I highly recommend it.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I'm happy with Parallels 10 on my MBP. I tried VMware fusion 7 but found it didn't do a great job with the retina display (Parallels has been perfect), and I had a lot of trouble accessing the VMware menu bar when in fullscreen. I've been pretty happy with the Parallels battery life - it doesn't seem to be draining my battery the way VMware fusion 6 on my MBA does. That said, I hear VMware fusion 7 is a huge improvement over 6 power-wise.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
If I was to try VMWare Fusion 7 how could I move over the games etc I have installed under Win 7 in Parallels ? Just so to save re installing it all.

The only way I can think of would be to purchase a cloning backup program and clone the virtual disk drive then restore it a newly setup disk drive in whatever other virtual machine software you want to use. Even that may be problematic given it would have tools installed from one software and need the tools from the new one installed. Whether it booted okay with the wrong tools software installed would be a question mark. The problem there is you probably need the tools software installed to run the cloning app so then your backup is stuck with that installed into it.

Personally, if I didn't already own something like CarbonCopy Cloner or whatever, I'd bite the bullet and just reinstall everything despite the pain because at least it is predictable that it ought to go well.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Works good for me, but I don't run games. I use it for test installations of previous OS X and Linux versions, and use several Windows applications under XP, 7.1 and 8.1.

The time I save by not rebooting to run other OSes native easily offsets the minor hit in performance my usage sees.

I don't think I've had a problem at all with version 10 except the handling of hidden docks on guest OS X vs. host OS X. VirtualBox does it perfectly, P10 works easier if one isn't hidden.

Do you have any experience running a distro using the most recent Linux kernel? I did some reading on the Parallels forums and it seems to break installs or you cannot successfully do a new install using it at all. Parallels tools has issues, etc.

I read one comment indicating a similar situation with VMware that dates to late last year and remains unresolved but it's just a second hand remark and I have not personally looked into that or visited the VMware site yet.

I am considering a move to VMware if it works as well for older games as Parallels does after my recent experience with them claiming it was impossible to start a virtual machine with Parallels 8 in Yosemite which is absolutely not true. I and others running Parallels 8 have no problem running VMs with Windows XP and Windows 7 at least (in my own use) and running games, etc. in them. Anyway, separate issue but it left a bad taste.

I want to evaluate the current state of Linux in a variety of distros I've used in the past and a VM is the perfect way. Reading the Parallels forums I won't even bother trying it with Parallels.

I might investigate VirtualBox and see if it is up to snuff for current Linux installs and use that if it is. I would not expect gaming support with that though unless they have come a long with accelerated GPU support and I doubt they have. Maybe I am wrong though. It was experimental last I knew.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.