Parallels 3.0 & 8600 512 MBP gaming performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Emrtr4, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

I am wondering if anyone can provide information on the performance of parallels 3.0 with the top of the line MBP.

I know that it allows native graphical performance, but so far my googleing and scouring through these forums has not been too fruitful on information regarding the new parallels software and the new MBP's, but is the performance in line with using bootcamp?

I am not looking to play crysis on my future mac (thats what my 360 is for) but I would love to be able to casually play Valve's slew of games, and my beloved total war series.

Thanks

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

As far as I'm aware, Parallels 3 still only supports accelerating DirectX 8-level graphics, so anything made in the last few years for DirectX 9 won't work anyway.

3. Emrtr4 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that is terribly disappointing, does that mean Boot Camp is the only option?

4. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

You could try CrossOver Mac:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

However, support for games is hit or miss. Getting some games to work might require some additional effort, and updates to either CrossOver or to your game can break functionality.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Parallel's Desktop is great for anything but stuff that requires the graphics card.

I love WinAmp's visualizations, but in order to use them I have to use Windows (no Mac version...). Parallel's just can't do it.

Waste of money too - I paid for version 2 (and was told on their website that updates were free) then a few weeks later version 3 came along and I wasn't allowed to download without paying. Got my way around it though...thieving b******s.

Boot Camp is the only way to run 3D applications full power at the moment.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Your 8600 will not matter in parallels. You will get no where near the optimal performance in games.

7. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

boot is the only viable option, now, and for a long time.

its a good option, something apple im sure thought out.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Actually Fusion doesnt DX9 emulation. I works on some games, but nothing big.