Parallels 3.0 crashes when installing Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AubreyL, Jul 15, 2007.

1. AubreyL macrumors newbie

I just put Parallels 3.0 on my Macbook Pro. During the install I chose express install and installed Windows XP. The install went fine but then I went to the Action pulldown menu and chose Parallels Tools. It installs almost 90% and then simply crashes giving me the option to reopen or close. I have completely removed the program by draging it from the Finder to the Trashcan (both the program and Windows XP Virtual Drive). It still does the same after nearly 10 installs. Any idea why it's doing this?

2. brkirch macrumors regular

Well for one thing you shouldn't be telling it to install Parallels Tools with an express install; it should do that automatically. Also, you can't uninstall Parallels Desktop simply by dragging it to the trash can, you need to run the uninstaller which is included in the same disk image as the installer. Follow these instructions. Then when you use the express install wait until Parallels Tools install automatically (do NOT tell Parallels to install them) and Windows reboots.