Parallels 3.0 & Ubuntu 7.04: Error on install

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JNB, Jun 7, 2007.

1. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Trying to install Ubuntu in Parallels 3.0 (which now has a specific menu selection for Ubuntu) and keep getting an error near the very beginning (after the splash screen and top install menu), "Cannot locate RSDP" then fails fairly spectacularly, leaving a severely hashed up graphic (the Ubuntu logo? Can't tell except for the color scheme) and the MB's fans start to really crank up, indicating some heavy processor load working its way up.

Suggestions?

Should I fall back to the earlier version of Ubuntu (6.0.6)?

(MB 2.16GHz/1GB (2 x 512)/160GB)

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Yeah, I had to shoe-horn Ubuntu 7.04 into the VMWare Fusion Beta. I'm sure if you google "Installing Ubunu Feisty Fawn Parallels Desktop" (or some variation) it should turn up something.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I just installed Unbuntu 7.04 in my parallels 3 on my MBP - using the middle option "recommended os" and chose ubuntu on the linux list (first time it's been there). It took ages to install but worked.

Linux tools are pain in the ass to install in linux though, again relying heavily on terminal commands that if your not used to is a nightmare (especially as the instructions in the help pdf are minimal to say the least).

But overall it's working well. Desktop effects cause the screen to crap out - so I cant enable them.

EDIT

oh.... yeah that messed up screen happened to me, and it stayed there for a good few minutes before the proper screen came on. Give it more time......

Messed up screen also happens when you shut down.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

LOL, ubuntu is supposed to be one of he fastest to install. parallels 3 sounds not that good.

5. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

Quick update. I downloaded 6.06.1 and got the same error, but this one continued through it and finished the install. It's a bit of a dog, but that's more likely due to the 412MB limit Parallels wants to put on it (stock MacBook, 1GB).

Thank goodness I have 2GB of RAM waiting for me at home to install!

6. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

Update 2: Installed Fusion, and reinstalled Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn). Absolutely no problems - In fact, this post is from Firefox in Ubuntu.

As much as I like the work Parallels has done, I'm seriously considering not getting a paid copy and sticking with VMWare. I'm VERY impressed...