Parallels 3.0: Win95 no 256 color or higher

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DougyS123, May 23, 2008.

1. DougyS123 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Running Parallels Desktop 3.0 on a new Macbook (Leopard). I have a game i want to play that's only win compatible, so I installed my Win95 CD into parallels and it went without a hitch. Only problem is that parallels is not letting Windows recognize color depth beyond 16 bit. i.e. I go to control panel/display/settings and the color pulldown menu only offer monocrome and 16bit. No 256, no, 32, no "true color." The game requires at least 256 color to install and play. I tried adding various video cards using display/settings w/in Windows and installing their drivers, but quickly realized that if parallels doesn't emulate "X" video card, it aint gonna do any good to install it's driver. To make sure this was a parallels issue i installed Win95 in Q (another Mac OSx xpc VM) and it's VERY unstable, but (after 87 install attempts) i finally got Win95 installed and it does allow higher color depth. i assume this is because Q emulates a Cirrus Logic GD 5445 PCI VGA card. I checked parallels support and found out that it emulates a VESA 3.0 VGA/SVGA card and only supports 2D graphics. That is, at least for Parallels dektop v 2.2. But I have 3.0 and, alledgedly, 3.0 supports 3d graphics.

Anyway, does anyone know what i need to do to get Win95 to recognize higher color depth in Parallels 3.0? I feel like 3.0 should have automatically allowed for this.

Thanks for your help.

PS: I'm using Win95 because it's all I have from my PC days of yore. I know it's a shaky os, but considering how stable Parallels seems to be running it, I'd like to try and resolve this.

2. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

This probably means there are no Windows 95 drivers for the graphics card emulated by Parallels 3.0. So unless you want to write your own drivers, you're out of luck.

The other possibility is that you forgot to install the Parallels Tools in Windows.