Parallels 4: Bugs List

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SnowLeopard2008, Nov 19, 2008.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Found a few bugs in this new version of Parallels 4. First, if you have dual monitors, say notebook + external, the Coherence mode will render incorrectly if you place the start menu on the bottom, above the dock. It's really hard to explain, but if your notebook's screen is align at the top to the external (I'm using 24"), then the part of the start bar is "eaten". Another bug is when you select under Windows a resolution bigger than 800X600, it will not stick during boot up. In other words, the VM window will show at the right resolution, but when you start it, it will shrink down to 800x600 resolution and then go back to whatever resolution you set it as. Pics for the start menu being "eaten" below. Hopefully they fix this soon, or I might just switch to Fusion. This thread's purpose is to list the bugs we encounter, so if you find a bug just post a reply stating it and what you were doing prior to.

Attached Files:

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You'll get a better response and a fix if you post this at the Parallels' forums.

3. martinmartin macrumors 6502

I'm using Parallels 3.0 and I understand what you're saying about the Start menu 'falling off the screen.' I also use my laptop plus an external.

The trick is to press alt+enter so the parallels program is just a small window, then drag it to the monitor you want windows to be on and click the full screen button in parallels. That works for me.

(Edit - on second thought, I think we might be describing 2 different issues)

On a related note - is it possible to run OSX on the larger external monitor and Windows (via parallels) on the MPB screen? I haven't been able to figure this out and thus run OSX on the laptop with Windows on the nice big 24 inch screen...

4. martinmartin macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how to do this - Run Windows (via Parallels) on the MBP screen and run OSX on the external??

Thanks

5. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I thought you drag the Parallels VM window to the MB(P) screen and use the full screen option? I saw that in a YouTube video.

6. martinmartin macrumors 6502

When you do that, the VM Window is on the MBP screen, but OSX is also on the MBP screen...just under Windows, if that makes sense. OSX never goes onto the external...