Parallels 4/Windows XP and Windows 7 questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr Rogerss, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Mr Rogerss macrumors member

Hi guys,

I just have a couple of issues to work out in trying to figure out my current problem.

Ok, I am running Parallels on my Mac Book Pro, and I have current have 3.0. and I am running XP in it. Now, I am in college, so to get on the internet my computer has to be updated and stuff with windows update all the time for me to keep staying on the internet. So now Windows found out my version of XP is some how not legit. Now I have all that annoying pop ups and stuff and I cant really change my background etc. Its just annoying. I did not pass Windows validation thing.

Now, I want to update parallels to 4.0 and purchase windows 7 student edition for like 30 bucks. When I do update my parallels, which wont be a problem, I actually purchased it. When I get Windows 7, is the one they send college students a download right? So does that mean I have to have XP to get this upgrade for 30 dollars? If so, if I do upgrade, do I have to prove my XP with a serial number to upgrade to Windows 7? Or will it be a clean install?

Basically I need to know is it possible to upgrade to Windows 7 in parallels 4, without my Windows XP serial number.

Thanks guys! If anyone can walk me through some of this, it would be great.

2. Mr Rogerss thread starter macrumors member

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I'm not sure how they'll send Win7 to you, if it is a download, it should be the ISO file which can be burned to a DVD.

That should contain everything and be capable of doing a clean install. Check with your school to see what exactly they're sending you. If it's actually Win7, you're alright. If it's just an upgrade, then it requires XP to be installed to run and upgrade it.

4. Mr Rogerss thread starter macrumors member

Is there any way for me to get around this? Is there a way for me to generate or find the serial number I used? So I can upgrade.

5. MasterDev macrumors 65816

First of all, I hope you burn for pirating software.

Second, buy the Windows 7 student edition and you can install it no problem without providing any Windows XP serial number.

EDIT: Student version is a full install. Even if it was an upgrade, he would still be fine.

6. Mr Rogerss thread starter macrumors member

7. Mr Rogerss thread starter macrumors member

I could be wrong, but I think I don't qualify because my Windows did not pass validation. Right? Yes its true I don't need a serial number, but I still think I cant get this discount.