Parallels 5 freezes during initial VM configuration

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wesleyh, Nov 16, 2009.

1. wesleyh macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2007
    Just got my new imac, installed windows xp via bootcamp. Then ran parallels and it showed me an initial configuration thingie for this VM.

It's been stuck on step 1 for well over 2 hours now, I was able to use a button to go into manual configuration but all this does it show me windows xp starting and then ending in a blue screen, then it simply returns to the configuration screen again, still showing it's at step 1 of 4. There is no way to quit the program as it keeps saying you must do all 4 steps. I suppose I could do a force quit but I'm unsure if there are any bad consequences.... Ideas?
  2. wesleyh thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2007
    Ok i force quit it, redid it, stops at the exact same spot. Did manual and took a screenshot of the BSOD.

It says:

And a bit further down:

Any ideas?
  3. gabat macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2009
    I have the same problem...

Nothing works....Have you found a solution?
  4. CyberBob859 macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2007
    I had some issues with Parallels 5 trying to convert a VM used in Parallels 4. Got the same BSOD message. Digging into the Parallels forums seem to indicate that if you set the number of processors used to 1 in the VM, the problem goes away. You may want to consider trying this to see if it resolves your problem.
  5. gabat macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2009
    Thank you for the reply.

I have already tried this. unfortunately doesnt work. My processors number is always at 1 :(
  6. HalfNelson macrumors member

Aug 27, 2010
  7. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2009
    Does the bootcamp partition run without problems? Could be that you have old drivers that needs to be updated.