Parallels 5. It's a no go!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Yakuza, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Yakuza macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

Ok i got my hands on parallels 5 and installed it with no issues and installed win xp, everything went fine 'till i tryed to login in windows and.....it just frozed up. Frozed up the first time, second time, third time...next day also tryed to login in windows with no luck. In settings i changed the core setting "thing" to 4 since i have i5...and....guess what, no luck lolol.

I'm i doing anything wrong? or did i do anything wrong along the way?

btw, i'm only installing win because of the games (racing games mostly)... is parallels 5 the best choise or is it best to do it via boot camp. i've done this already on my MBP but the constant booting bugs me.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Most games run better when in Boot Camp, especially GPU intensive ones. But I played Command & Conquer via VMWare Fusion once, it was playable, but not really that smooth.

Maybe you can try to create a new VM and install Windows again with the help of the many guides out there.

3. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Setting the core count to 4 doesn't dedicate 4 threads to the virtual machine. It ends up emulating the extra threads and killing your performance. Another note on this, the Core i5 is really a dual core with hyper threading, its not really a quad core.

I noticed you have another mac in your signature, I would give the software a try there. It could be it doesn't handle well on the Core i5 yet. Just an FYI, the latest VMware just rips along on my i5 MBP. :D

4. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

yeaahhh...gpu eating games. :rolleyes:

Well! i guess i have to go via boot camp, my intention it's to play recent games really, so, ok i guess i'll not be spending anymore time around parallels, i'll just go right ahead to boot camp.

"Boot me up Scotty"!!

5. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

but can you play games with no problem at all with VMware? if so, i'm definitively use VMware :D

yeah i was tinking of using the mbp, but not so much as i'll be using the iMac lol

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

No virtual machine is suitable for playing games, unless they are pretty old (and I'm talking pre year 2000 here)

7. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

uuuuuhhhh not even close lol

Once again my fellow MR friends, thank you! One more question resolved for me

:D

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Exactly.
    The only Windows game that I like to play which runs flawlessly in VMware is Need for Speed High Stakes. ;)